Question from a homeowner

The overhead door was installed 3 years ago and the evaluation report and product approval is here:
www.floridabuilding.org/upload/PR_Tech_Docs/FL8822_R1_AE_EVALUATION%20OHD%200507.pdf
www.floridabuilding.org/upload/PR_Instl_Docs/FL8822_R1_II_408804%2016ft%20%20180%20series%20HVHZ.pdf

For whatever reason (we’re not in Dade County?) there isn’t an NOA sticker.

And thanks for catching my typo…fixed!

Did the insurance company give you credit for an attachment that didn’t have the required amount of nails?

The magic numbers are: Tas 201, 202,and 203.

sorry for my babbling, I just start seeing red when I get on this subject. Yea I guess years ago, I was credited. I used to travel for work back then, really did not pay attention to things that seemed normally priced at that time. But, this reinspection should have given me credit for a clip not toe nail (10/11) inspection (2/12) form used. Plus the report as a whole was a complete joke, it was done very unprofessional in my opinion. I will not ever mention any names to the public, thats just not my style.
What really upsets me is the elderly folks that are being taken advantage of. My wheels are spinning to do something to help them !!

Again guys sorry for me rants but I take things personal sometimes, this is a great site with good people.

I completely understand. Even though the form prior to february first did not state how many nails a clip needed, the approved courses always taught that 3 nails were required 4 clips.

Yes, your course taught that great but, my point… on the old form it spells out in item 4 how many nails are to be used as per every attachment accept clips. even in toe nail it states using nails (plural) clips it reads nailed (singular). I find that to be interesting. Why did they leave out the number of nails required for a clip ?
I know it would have came back to bite me after 2/12 but I’m in the process of some remodeling I had plans for anyway so I’m upgrading to single wraps anyway. Like I said before it just could have been handle in a more professional manner.

Oh…Mr. Gold…You are beginning to understand the plight some of us find ourselves in.
Once you find out the parties involved in this form, the fog clears.
When I have an underwriter telling me that I have to find a shiner, his definition, not mine, in order to prove nail length, if I could get away with it, I would go to his office and crush his skull with a sledge-hammer! I mean that in the most non-literal sense possible, but none of this matters.

Judging by the forms I have seen, I would have to conclude, that the individuals that designed them, had little or no construction experience whatsoever. And I would also suspect, that the only codes that they were aware of would have to do with Captin Crunch!

Greg, I think for some reason it just got forgot when the wording was placed. The grammer on the old form stating 'that are nailed ’ is correct but the failed to mention how many. Like many industries it is up to the professional to know the standards. Many inspectors do not even read the form. They call single wraps with 1 nail on the face side and 1 nail on the opposite side a single wrap, which of course it does not meet the definition. A lot of issues lies with un educated inspectors and stubborn inspectors. I personally have taken 4 wind mitigation courses and sat through john shishilla’s about 40 times, or else it feels like that many times. I can tell you they pretty much all have the same information. The instructor can make a huge difference. I personally believe it should be a requirement that you acquire around 14 hours worth of wind mitigation training every 2 years.

Thanks? Preston :stuck_out_tongue:

John you put on a great class. One reason it is so good is that you actually do inspections unlike most other instructors.

:mrgreen:

Give me a call. I can help you restore your credits.

Maybe it is the underwriters that should be required to put time out in the field before they can hold that title…as with my trade I have argued with engineers and architects that, they should be required to put down their pens and lattes’, come out to the field to see what they put on paper. It all looks good on paper, or does it ! (as in old form) if you are going to take $2400 out of my pocket, all your paper work better be in order… How many elderly people are being taken ?

It’s not the underwriters it’s the engineered studies and industry standards that makeup the decisions

I hear through a somewhat reliable source, that there is legislation pending that would require anyone who has anything to do with this form to take a course so that they at least understand the form.

And, this isn’t limited to the elderly. My neighbor is only 35 and she had to go to her agent with the plans to her home to get the single wrap credit. She finally got the credit, but it should have never been an issue.