CONGRATS to Peter Giannino YEA!

1 Like

Great work by Marcel Cyr ~ thank you!

3 Likes

Congrats @pgiannino

1 Like

@PGiannino Nice

1 Like

I want to notate errors but I shall resist. This does seem to be a Phillipine based quiz. Nice Job Marcel.

1 Like

Agree with you Charles. No way #8 is anything but astragal- maybe Batidura is another language for astragal. Also, I believe any window can be used in a curtain wall. Still was fun and we did learn some things. But like you I Digress.

Astragal and batidura are interchangeable by definition
I believe how the question is asked made it tricky. I don’t believe an Astragal is a stopper but a seal or divider.

A t-astragal molding is a functional door molding designed to close the clearance gap created by the side edges on one or both matching doors, they also stop the swinging door, as well as help, reduce sound when closed. The square side of the t-astragal attaches to a door stile edge, on one of either sliding or swinging doors, the opposite side might have a three to five-degree angle to receive the closing door when the opposing door is in a fixed position.

1 Like

Excellent, I agree. Either way you are right. lol Batidura is a wood fillet. Used in Phillipine vernacular architecture. Batidura should mean astragal.
Demand a recount. :laughing:

1-d
2-d
3-c
4-c but not anymore
5-d pretty sure about stirrups for a concrete beam
6-a
7-d
8-c

couldn’t tel if this was asking for a song by The Who? or asking about the lana de ray song or whatever.

Congratulations, Peter!

1 Like

Go ahead take a guess

Chickens and eggs :egg:

1. What common type of window is used in a glass curtain wall.
    a. sliding window
    b. projected window
    c. awning window
    d. fixed window
    Glass curtain walls support themselves and any window can be used.
    All of the windows are a common type

2.What is a massive wall that resists overturning by virtue of its own weight.
a. block wall
b. shear wall
c. firewall
d. gravity wall

1. What kind of structural wood core clad with galvanized sheet metal.
    a. wood core
    b. metal door
    c. kalamein door
    d. flush door
    The Kalamein door is clad in metal and a Kalamein door may be installed as a Flush door

1. CUPRINOL is a product of
      a. Boysen
      b. Davies Paint
      c. Sherwin Williams
      d. Vulcaseal
      e. Dutchboy
      Both Sherwin Williams and Dutchboy had products using the Cuprinol name.

2. A bar used to hold the reinforcement on a beam
      a. Web
      b. Lateral ties
      c. Tie bar
      d. stirrups
      Stirrups and Lateral ties both hold reinforcement when used with concrete. They are the same.
      The difference being the positioning. Stirrups horizontal and Lateral Ties vertical.
      The only argument becomes can a beam be a column?

3. A structural steel T section is composed of a
      a. flange and web
      b. flange and stem
      c. flange and fillet
      d. floor flange
      A. B. C. are all correct. In a structural steel T section it can be composed of any of the 3 answers.
      *The Flange and Web is often referred to as an I Beam a Wide flange beam can be sliced to form the T creating the Flange and Stem. *

1. What distributes a load of a column equally among the piles
        a. footing
        b. pile cap
        c. pile foundation
        d. grade beam
        e. foundation bed.
    4. In a two-panel door, a strip of lumber placed in a one-panel door that serves as a stopper
      is called
      a. Batidura
      b. Sinturon
      c. Astragal
      d. Tirante
      Batidura does not have any use in architecture or construction. Unable to find much actual use of this word in the feminine except in a few Blogs and quizzes about Tagalog Architecture/ construction. I believe they were written by someone who just had bad grammar. The only other reference I could find was a book written in 1833 Even in this book it was used in reference to mix ingredients. The common use is Batiduro. Meaning - mixer

The analysis is brought to you by, “Passing the time during Covid-19”

i agree with all of that except…doesn’t the grade beam sit on top of the pile caps and distribute the load? seems like the caps just provide bearing?

Sorry I did not analyze that one.
You have a reference

1 Like

i see. :slightly_smiling_face: thank you. i pictured, one cap on one pile. thank you sir

1 Like

There is no confusion on the answers, just an opinion of disagreement.
You can contest the editor of the quiz if you want. I did not.
You can take it yourself here;
https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/quizshow.php?title=building-technology_5&q=1
Thanks for playing.

3 Likes

I was just passing the time thought maybe someone might be interested. It’s all good :+1:
Wasn’t trying to win anything. I wasn’t trying to correct anything. I will tread a little lighter.

FYI
First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.

2 Likes