Question of the week competition

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

and turn it into a competition which will be judged by Dave Bush and myself.

I will post a Picture question as normal, but give out a prize for the best explaination of the problem system shown. In particular we want to see the best reporting style used, that informs the customer as to the conditions reported in the pictire.

Initialy at least we will be giving to the winner a copy of one of the codecheck series that relates to the problem.

Have fun and lets start seeing some realy good reporting to help educate each other.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jpope

That’s great Gerry, but to avoid the possibility of people “piggy-backing” on my great reporting style icon_biggrin.gif , maybe the answers should be emailed. Then Dave can post the winning answer at the end of the week.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Hi Jeff,

thats a thought, maybe I'll have them e-mailed then we will just post the winner

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Sounds great Gerry. Could you keep the questions more general as opposed to regional? I for one don’t know squat about oil burners.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Gerry you my be in a no win situation on this

If this is suppose to help in report writing. Then it needs to be where someone could benefit from it. Then some will not want to give their report writing away. So some will say open no good and the others will say private no good. Wished I had the answer but their not really a good one. The best suggestion I could come up with right now is to put it in the members section

I know you will find a good way

Hi Larry,

Thanks I have been thinking about this all day, I am leaning towards leaving it where it is, like you say I can't win, my idea with this was to use the fantastic knowledge that our more experienced members have to help guide more recent inspectors, I think I am sticking with that and leaving it within the QOD forum. If that means that some members feel unable to post good answers in fear of giving away "trade secrets" then maybe I have to live with that, but it would be a shame for those newer to the business to miss out on the benefit of some great NACHI inspectors.

I guess I will sleep on it, and discuss the issue further with Dave, Nick and other interested parties tomorrow.

Please give me all your thoughts, maybe someone has an angle I have not thought about.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

I was sort of thinking like that. But the question of the day is in the open form. Putting this in the member section could be a benefit for joining.

Then again I just don’t know.

Sorry Will nearly missed your point,

the issue of education in general and questions in particular is kinda tough bearing in mind the regional differences in some systems, I have to go with the broadest brush and find questions that are applicable to most members. In particular I tend to go (both with QOD and also the courses that I teach) with the format of questions that would be found on an exam like NHIE, yes I know that you guys in the south don't see too many Hydronic systems but also our members up here do not see any heat pumps, but both sets of members would have to have a basic understanding of both to pass NHIE, so like I teach the basics of systems here that a New England inspector would never see I would hope to put up questions that test the general understanding of systems that would give people a taste of what most licensing exams are all about.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, but like I said trying to make education and testing a "one size fits all" is tough.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

gbeaumont wrote:
Hi to all,

We have decided that we will in future on a Saturday post a "
PICTURE QUESTION OF THE WEEK"
and turn it into a competition which will be judged by Dave Bush and myself.

I will post a Picture question as normal, but give out a prize for the best explaination of the problem system shown. In particular we want to see the best reporting style used, that informs the customer as to the conditions reported in the pictire.

Initialy at least we will be giving to the winner a copy of one of the codecheck series that relates to the problem.

Have fun and lets start seeing some realy good reporting to help educate each other.

regards

Gerry

Gerry

Use caution ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) You might piss some people off as I don't think you and Dave can be the judge of everyones style of reporting. Many believe they have the best and if not chosen will probably not participate
As noted on the recent comments lately in "Members only" section some people have very thin skins

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Sounds good.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Hi to all,

Come on guys this is not rocket sience, it's just a weekly go at raising the standards of reporting, and spreading knowledge amongst inspectors. I would hate for this to end up another contentious area, it's a bit of weekend fun to get people thinking ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Gerry,

Your Idea is very good, and I for one trust you and Dave to be good judges. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Gerry! I agree with Blaine. It’s a great idea. We can all have a little fun without some taking this so serious. Your not going to please everyone. Go with your idea. Best of luck! DOUG

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Hey Guys,

I have to agree with Blaine and Gerry. This is all for good fun and to help some of the newer people see different reporting styles. I think it could be very interesting to see how different people report the same problem.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: psabados

Ditto Blaine, Gerry and Gary

This is really for everyone, a chance to sharpen one's writing skills. Who knows, maybe someone out there has the best way to describe a condition and the ability to write a quality report.

Its an educational experience, just like high school English Lit all over again. Uhhh! Lets see, its content, presentation style and punctuation right? And who, what, where, when, why and how correct?

Paul

Counting down the days to Nachi's First Convention
Orlando, 2005