Question of the Week-starting 4/12/15

What is a reglet, relative to roofing?

Larry
and the Awards Committee

wikipedia:

In architecture a reglet is 1.) a thin, flat band relating to mouldings[1] or 2.) a groove in a wall or parapet for receiving the top edge of a flashing.[2] In this usage it is also called a raggle[3] and may be related to regle, a groove. If a flashing is simply applied to a surface than it is called a face reglet.[4]

Flashing reglets secure a receiver counter flashing or the roofing membrane and must contain a sealant to secure the material. The reglet counter flashing allows for the roofing material to be removed for re-roofing.

Usually, in the U.S.A., when reglet is pronounced, the T is not silent. Alternative descriptions used by tradesmen include “rivlet”, or “rivulet”. In modern, budget construction where low slope roofing and parapets are used, reglet and coping can comprise the majority of flashing costs.

Called reglet and riglet but understood to be the same item.

I think they look crappy on residential chimneys.

Mr Gordon Marchant wins!

Your prize will be sent to the address that InterNACHI has on file for you.

So, this is going to be a contest of who can perform a Google search the fastest by whoever is online when you post the question?

Gotcha.

Personally, I would award Paul for answering from personal knowledge.

I think you guys can do better.

JMHO

I love ya, Paul. However, I don’t see an answer to the question posed.

The above link, posted earlier on the “Education and Training” thread, gave the criteria.

Congratulations Gordon. :slight_smile:

Although it’s nice to see an inspector know the information off the top of his/her head, we can’t determine weather or not you know something or look it up.

There are some that may look at this Contest as a mere talent of using Google, but might not realize that the bulk of the Members today on this forum are all new Members with a short time in the Association.

It was and is, expected to be an educational tool to teach Members in doing their own research and enable them to learn about the question ask in the meantime.
If you do not know what to look for, it will be hard to find even on Google.

But having some knowledge to questions ask will enable the Member to learn how to do the proper look-up and learn by doing so.

Thank you all for participating and enjoy the free gifts for the winners.

Research and gaining knowledge always pays and makes any inspector (regardless of experience) a better Inspector.

As far as the randomness, we thought it would make it more fun, and perhaps give many more an opportunity to win… Thanks for your feedback, have a great day and enjoy the weekly contest.

-Award Committee Chairman

Okay, and I can agree with that.

So, may I suggest the criteria of NO ‘cut & paste’ replies. If someone must “Google” the answer, they need to reply “in their own words” so as to be sure the poster has actually ‘learned’ also. Only seems fair that the teacher understands what they are teaching to others.

I’m sure the “Committee” can distinguish between a “C&P” post and a “IYOW” post.

Nice job Gordon