question on wireing furnace, legal or not

I always hear about plug and cord furnaces being wrong from people in other parts of the country, but here in Tucson literally ALL furnaces located indoors are plug and cord. They are required to have a fused receptacle, but plug and cord is the norm. I don’t see where this is a violation. This setup can easily be plugged into an emergency power source, although we seldom have need for that. Usually the problem here is summer outages with no cooling.

The problem usually gets down to the installation instructions. You can say you are using cord and plug so it can be easily removed for service or for vibration 422.16(A) but that goes on to say “the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.” which most furnace blowers are not.
That will be the violation.
(B) goes on to specify the appliances that are allowed to be cord and plug connected.

Right on, Paul. Electrical work is not for amatuers. While there are some non-electricians that are were capable of doing their own wiring, most are not and if you have to ask a DIY website or the guy a Home Depot for advice, you shouldn’t be attempting the job. In the case of generators, you put not only yourself and family at risk, but also the poor lineman who’s working his butt off trying to get your power restored. Sorry if this offends, just my opinion.

lol…don’t worry Steve…lately I seem to offend people often…lol…I ignore them…and Rock On my brother:)

That’s pretty good. Up here a 60A transfer box is about $282.00 Can.

Ok, then how about a circuit interlock? I believe then I could use all my house circuits safely.

Bill, there are listed interlock devices for some panel that will allow the main and top breaker to be interlocked and that qualifies as transfer equipment. The problem is they tend to be very expensive bits of sheet metal.
The little toggle that interlocks 2 adjacent breakers is fairly cheap but the one that does a regular “main” and a load side breaker are $75-100.