Question....

Originally Posted By: Kirk Smith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Did an inspection 2 weeks ago and found a plumbing leak in crawl space when outside hose bib is turned on. The buyer says that the seller had a plumber out to fix it and wants me to go out and re-inspect it. What type of report do you give for a re-inspection? Do you just give the buyer a verbal that all is ok or do you have separate paper work for these types of things? This is my first re-inspection. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Kirk Smith

Welcome Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

#1, don’t do a reinspection unless you charge for it.

#2 If I were to send anything it would be a simple letter stating that you reinspected the line and it was not leaking at the time of the reinspection. icon_wink.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Kirk Smith

Thanks for the fast response…I definitely will charge for the re-inspection. especially since the property is 50 miles from me. Just wanted to know what inspectors did on Re-inspection processes…Thanks again!!

Kirk Smith

Welcome Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: rsonneson

On reinspects we always send a written confirmation of what we saw. We also state that our findings are a extension of the first inspeciton and inspection contract and is not a new inspection. Want to be sure the contract is extended to the reinspect.

Bob Sonneson

American Home Inspection Technologies

Originally Posted By: jpope

Always end your addendum with something to the affect that the buyer should receive a copy of all work orders verifying work has been completed by state-licensed contractors and that any and all warranties and/or guarantees should be transferred to the buyer.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Also, before you go out, have them (whoever has it) fax a copy of the plumber’s work order to you. Then, after your re-inspection and writing your re-inspection addendum to the first inspection, you include a copy of the plumber’s work order and refer to it. Sometimes you will find that there is no work order (‘oh, yeah, we had a plumber fix that’) or that the plumber (or other contractor) fixed something else.

Never say it is 'fixed', but 'so-and-so stated they fixed it, see their work order, at the re-inspection, we tried to re-create the original condition under which we found the leak, however, we did not see a leak at the location of the original leak under those conditions, thus the leak "may" have been corrected by the above referenced repair work order, make sure to obtain a warranty from the plumber for their repair'. Something to that effect. The warranty covers you in case it starts leaking later, the plumber is called to fix it, not you.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Kirk brings up a good practice.

For those of you who live in the colder areas, people will leave hoses connected to the spigot. This will cause the frost-free to 'split' inside the house but after the shut-off.

Check the basement after testing the outside spigots.

Mike P.