Questions About Pay

I’ve worked one year now in the Atlanta, GA area as a home inspector and I really like the job, but this is looking like it could be a rough year because of a shortage of homes on the market.

I’m not getting enough jobs per week to make ends meet, especially since I only get 40% of each inspection.

Is it realistic of me to think a different employer might pay a higher percentage or better yet a guaranteed salary?

With all due respect, be grateful you are working at all. Look at it from your employers perspective. Whether there are actual jobs or not, he/she still has pay for advertising, insurance, licensing, overhead, etc. etc. Feel free to go out on your own if you think you can do better. You would probably be doing him/her a favor!!

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. I’m not trying to be critical of my employer; he’s a great guy and I know he’s hurting from this market as well. And no, I doubt I could do better by striking out on my own, at least not in this area. (But I am willing to move for the sake of my family if that is what I need to do.)

So again my questions are…Is it realistic of me to think a different employer might pay a higher percentage or better yet a guaranteed salary? (I’ve only done this job for a year, so I honestly don’t know.)

Are home inspectors facing a rough summer everywhere, or is this perhaps more of a local or state issue?

Every region has their own trials and tribulations to contend with. It is part of this business and changes constantly. Your area may be nearing the end of it’s cycle, but if you move, that new area may be in the beginning stages of it’s problems. You need to investigate all your options before making any major changes, or you’ll just be chasing rabbits down holes and wind up coming out the losing end of it all. If you honestly can’t handle the swings in business, it may be time to change careers. There are many reasons why the average inspector never survives past 3-5 years in this business. One of which is they never bother to fully investigate what they are getting into. The fact you went straight into working for someone else tells me you likely fit into that category. Sorry it went all to hell for you, but better luck in the future. JMHO.

1 Like

Fewer homes on the market, plus more inspectors joining the profession, equals lower pay on average. Really have to be strategic.

2 Likes

Again, thanks for replying. I’m a loyal employee–on average I stick with an employer for 5-8 years, but when I went into home inspection, I was told that I would make as much or more doing this as I made teaching. (I have 5 children and a mortgage, so pay is kind of important.) I don’t want to get out of this business, and I certainly don’t want to chase rabbits. (I get what you’re saying about how regions change.)

I’m hoping someone will see my questions on this thread, and give me some insight about how other employers in this business pay their employees.

Over the past few years, I’ve kicked around the idea of maybe heading up to Tennessee or Kentucky because that area of the country is a lot better looking than south of Atlanta. :grinning:

It can vary a great deal, but anecdotally I see most multi-inspector firms pay within a similar range (by area or market).

Most I remember seeing recently was 55-60% for top performers, with some sort of bonus on up-sell or ancillary services. And be mindful that some shops pay even less, so there are no right or wrong answers.

1 Like

Keep in mind we had a recession back in 2008 that decimated many inspectors (and agents, and other industries) and it lasted quite awhile, so this business isn’t for the faint of heart.

1 Like

You have only been working at this for a year. If you had a franchise, you’d be looking 5(+) yrs before you turn a profit. If you have not planned for this at the start and have capital to bind you over, you need to consider another day job to get you through. Also, while you’re at it take the time and consider another government to support next election. One that doesn’t shut down your state and country over a flue virus.

6 Likes

Hate to hear that a down market is happening in Atlanta. I’m in Augusta just two hours or so east on i20 and our market continues to boom with lack of inventory. With one year experience, you wouldn’t be making 40% with any multi inspector firm here, including mine. My most seasoned guy (5yr) gets 40%, but I provide “the business”… a vehicle, advertising, scheduling, insurance, etc. I could probably hire a PT inspector now if I really wanted to, but haven’t pulled that trigger yet. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Being up here in NE GA, the market has only slowed due to lack of inventory. New listings on decent properties are usually under contract within 24 hours. Crazy bidding wars and realtors suggesting waving due diligence and inspections has hit the business hard. It’s going to come back and bite the realtors and the buyers for doing this…more than they know.

Btw- Just booked an “emergency” inspection an hour ago. 4 day due diligence, 2 gone. I blocked out tomorrow’s scheduled for an early doctor’s appointment. Looks like it’s going to a $$ day after all… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That is all I get now it seems. I go from 0-60 in a matter of hours. Market has definitely slowed and every client is in freak-out mode when they call me.

6 Likes

In Minnesota too. Had to do a rare Sunday inspection today. Luckily it was a pretty nice home. Almost 100 degrees here. Us “Up Nort” people don’t like it that hot.

5 Likes

Up here in Northern MI, the person that has my old business now is getting body cams for his 3 inspectors and the marked is hot. We have not been hit much with the “waive the inspection” crap, yet. And, to be honest, I don’t expect that to happen up here anytime soon. People are hip to the “over the top” prices being asked and refuse to not, at least, get an inspection.

Different things are happening in different parts of the country.

2 Likes

Interesting! My wife keeps trying to talk me into going back to northern MI.

Do you due diligence because the winters can be brutal as well as differences in markets, Peter.

Someone has been trying to cover all of MI, part of WI and MN via inspectors scattered here and there I hear, for a % of the take, I believe.

And, as I said about the person that has my old business, there are always disgruntled clients to deal with and they are increasing in demands and numbers.

2 Likes