Questions Of The Week 14 May - Time for fun with Ciphers!

It’s that time again you Brainiacs!! Time for a little cipher fun. All the rules are below.

Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

These are the rules to win. Each part must be accomplished for a win.

1. Decipher the list of words and provide them here.

2. Provide a descriptive definition of each.

3. Describe what these words all have in common.

This is a very simple cipher however to help you find the key and answer the questions the following is a clue for you!

Under the latest energy code requirements, in Climate Zone 3, what is the minimum insulation value required in ceilings?

GOOD LUCK!!

1. rhysacekbt

2. ijhyau zqcr

3. cqhwyd

4. ijybu

5. hqyb

6. iybb

7. ijefi

8. qhsxyjhqlu

9. vhyupu hqyb

10. sqiydw

1 Like

Thanks Michael Egbert for correcting me on #3. If you are still working on this I have updated #3 above.

This was fun and different! Here’s my entry.

What all these words have in common is that they describe components and trim of doors and windows.

1. Brickmould: The exterior trim that covers the gap between a door or window frame and the studs.
  2. Strike Jamb: The jamb that a door knob or lock strike plate is installed. The side opposite the hinge jam.
  3. Margin: The space between the panel (the swinging portion) of a door and the frame that allows it to swing freely.
  4. Stile: The vertical parts of a door.
  5. Rail: The horizontal parts in a door.
  6. Sill: The bottom interior horizontal component of a window frame that the stool rests on.
  7. Stops: The strip of wood trim or part of the jam that a door rests against when closed.
  8. Architrave: Refers to the mouldings around a door, or possibly a window, but classically means the horizontal top moulding when it is butted to the verticals as opposed to mitered.
  9. Frieze Rail: The first rail below the top rail of a six panel door.
  10. Casing: The interior trim around a window.

Mike

GREAT questions Manny! Especially during this lockdown BS! Feeling blessed that we are still working and if I get time I will try to go through all the requirements. I hope all Americans realize that we have to stand up in this time of need and protect those who need extra protection and provide for all that need this economy to be opened back up!

2 Likes

You can say that again, Dave!

Help where you can!

1 Like

Good words there Dave!! Hopefully we will see that happening all over.

Y’all are killing me! The Brainiacs kill off another Question Of The Week in quick time! This weeks winner is Michael Egbert!

Hey Michael want to let the others know how you found the key to the cipher? There are multiple ways but I sure was hoping the clue would throw some off a little.

Awesome! I love puzzles like this although I’m usually not terribly good at them. I started looking for patterns in the clues before thinking about the deciphering hint. I assumed that the cipher was a letter substitution one. The double letter at the end of clue 6 is where I started. It would most likely be a consonant and there are only a few letters that will show up paired that way at the end of a word like “TT,” “SS,” or in this case “LL.”

So taking “B” to represent “L” I made a list of letters and decoded “sill” and “rail” as tests and then decoded the rest.

Publication2

1 Like

Congratulations, Michael Egbert! :grinning:

Excellent combination of deduction and brute force methods!! Definitely one of the ways to solve it. BTW without a clue, and probably with a clue, I would have tried that first as well!

Just another example of the Brainiacs we have here at INACHI!! :nerd_face:

1 Like