Questions Of The Week August 20

SSSSE That is that all about?

-.-- — …- / -… — / -. — - / -.- -. — .-- / – — .-. … . / -.-. — -… .

Post must be at least 10 characters

1. It can save energy to keep the lights on all the time rather than suffering from the “startup penalty” of turning them on after they’ve been shut off
    True or False
    False
    In practical terms, there isn’t any such startup penalty
    https://www.rd.com/home/6-electricity-myths-that-can-kill/

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) A noisy water heater can be dangerous
True or False
False
A noisy water heater is in no way dangerous, unless it starts to interfere with the electrical connections. If the heater makes weird rumbling noises, but does not cause any other problems, you have no reason to worry – it’s just an old grumbling water heater.

10 Home Plumbing Myths That Cost You Money - Architecture Lab

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Water Flushes in The Opposite Direction in The Southern Hemisphere
True or False
False
As much as you might have heard about the Coriolis Effect, the toilets do not flush in the other direction in the southern hemisphere.
The Coriolis Effect is responsible for cyclones rotating in opposite directions in the Northern and Southern hemispheres – however, this effect is only applicable to larger water bodies. There is simply not enough water in the toilets for the effect to appear in the first place.
Also, the direction of water in the toilet is determined by the water jets, which are common across the world

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Metal roofs are safer than wood roofs with lightning
True or False
True
While metal conducts electricity, electricity is not drawn to it. Since a metal roof is non-combustible, it is actually safer than some other roof types like wood

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) _______ determines the likelihood of structural collapse under fire conditions
Fire Resistance
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Fire_resistance_of_buildings

The fire resistance of an element of construction is a measure of its ability to withstand the effects of fire in one or more ways, as follows:

• Resistance to collapse, i.e. the ability to maintain loadbearing capacity (which applies to loadbearing elements only).
  • Resistance to fire penetration, i.e. an ability to maintain the integrity of the element.
  • Resistance to the transfer of excessive heat, i.e. an ability to provide insulation from high temperatures.

Ugh! The one time I don’t research a question and think it’s a trick question. Stupid southern hemisphere toilets!
I’m going to win one of these weeks!
Good questions this week!
Congradulations to the double winners!

Congratulations William & Marcel!
Great questions Marc!
I prefer The Needle & the Spoon by Lynard Skynard, (same subject) but I’m just that kind of guy.

1 Like