Questions Of The Week ~ Electrical November 18

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard for the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

All members are eligible… … …
Good luck!

Well… after Marcel’s appearance, these should be quick & easy… … …

1. What is the safest & most dangerous source of energy

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) _______ is the energy of a moving object.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) When positive & negative charged atoms are not balanced

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) _______ is caused by moving electric charges called electrons.
Fill in the blank & then name some

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Let’s shift to HVAC
Inspect this!

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Extra Credit
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
I really wanna stay here

2 Likes

Nice questions, Marc…Thanks for doing them!

1 Like

Some of these might be guesses while others are personal opinion. Ha Ha

1. What is the safest & most dangerous source of energy - Nuclear safe, wind turbine dangerous, real answer is probably fossil fuels for dangerous.
  1. ___ Kinetic____ is the energy of a moving object.

2. When positive & negative charged atoms are not balanced - Static electricity

3. __electrical energy _____ is caused by moving electric charges called electrons.

4. I see a condensate drain that pipes to exterior. Appears to be undermining the foundation. Drain should be moved to daylight further from foundation.

1 - nuclear & coal
2 - mechanical energy
3 - static electricity
4 - electrical energy

5- if the discharge piping is from a TPR valve: it should not be trapped and is of reduce size which are safety issues. Also, it appears to be leaking. It needs immediate repairs by Martin or a qualified plumber.

Nice Marc! :wink:

1 Like

@mgratton Those are two spiders fighting. What are you trying to pass off as electric charge? :rofl:

Good evening everyone.

1. Nuclear Energy
  2. Kinetic Energy
  3. Static Electricity
  4. Electrical Energy
  5. HVAC. So, it looks like a condensate drain line, but how effective is it with the 90 degree upward turn?
    And um,
    Extra Credit: “Soul Kitchen,” by The Doors?

1=Nuclear, Coal
2=Kinetic
3=Static electricity
4= Electrical energy. Solar, nuclear and hydro.
5= Recommend the condensation drain pipe be routed downward and properly attached to the wall.

I Want to Stay Here ???
Dusty-Springfield

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh
Soooooooooooo close :cowboy_hat_face:

As always…great questions Marc!!!

2 Likes
  1. Nuclear-safest / Fossil Fuels-most dangerous
  2. Mechanical Energy
  3. Static Electricity
  4. Electrical Energy (alternating current, direct current, capacitors, lightning, batteries, electric eels)
  5. Condensate draining near foundation, should be routed at least 12 inches from foundation wall, to avoid long term implications. Repair by a licensed HVAC technician is recommended.

Extra Credit: Soul Kitchen / The Doors

No it isn’t … Just go ahead and tell them I won. Yep!
Just messin’ with you Brother.

1. Solar, fossil
  2. Kinetic
  3. Static electricity
  4. Electric current (AC/DC)
  5. Air conditioning condensate line: terminates too high (should be about 6" high, too close to the foundation (should be a foot or more), 90* elbow pointed downward, in Florida will result in at least one lizard hanging out in there causing blockage.

Extra credit, Loving Caliber -I wanna stay here with you-

1 Like

Well… … …
Not yet. There are some very close ones, but I’m not perfectly satisfied . … yet.

Waiting for other members to chime in or each of you guys can give it another shot if you want to.
Closing out in 24 hours

So far I get the books ! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Nuclear
2 Kinetic
3 Ions
4 Current
5 Condensate line terminating at the exterior of building.Trap not serviceable.Piping should be fastened properly and directed away from the structure.

You mentioned that we could give it another shot, the only things I would say about my answers above would be this:

1. On number one, I am assuming the question is asking for one thing, hence my single answer. If the question is in two parts, then I would add Fossil Fuels in addition to Nuclear, with Nuclear being the safest and fossil fuels being the most dangerous.

And on the extra credit, again, to further explain my answer. The Doors sang those lyrics on the song “Soul Kitchen,” which was later sung again by David Lee Roth as a cover of that same song.

1 Like

Congrats to @drey ~ David Rey, for the extra effort also.
I didn’t get everything I was looking for, for the picture so it was a little hard to choose. He got the music also.

1. What is the safest & most dangerous source of energy
    Nuclear
    Coal
    https://www.realclearenergy.org/charticles/2015/12/04/nuclear_safest_source_of_energy_108914.html

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) _______ is the energy of a moving object.
Kinetic energy is the energy of a moving object.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~
3) When positive & negative charged atoms are not balanced
static electricity

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) _______ is caused by moving electric charges called electrons.
Fill in the blank & then name some
Electrical energy is caused by moving electric charges called electrons. The faster the charges move, the more electrical energy they carry. Lightning, thermal, electromagnetic, mechanical batteries and even electric eels are examples of electrical energy in action.

Electrical current is the flow of electrons through a closed circuit when a potential difference is applied across the circuit.

Electrical energy is the amount of work done or the amount of heat generated or dissipated due to resistance during the flow of current for a certain period of time.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Let’s shift to HVAC
Inspect this!

HVAC condensate drain line -
Terminate no more than 6 inches from the ground
Terminates against structure, should be 12 inches away
Does not continually slope down by gravity
Not properly supported

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
I really wanna stay here
The Doors - Soul Kitchen

1 Like

Congratulations David Rey. Thanks for participating.

1 Like

Congrats @drey!

1 Like

Congratulations David Rey!

1 Like