Questions Of The Week February 2 - Time to play Home Inspector Jeopardy!

world where Pabst Blue Ribbon costs $30 a six pack??? :laughing:

“There’s too much see oh two…”

The letters TR keep rattling around in my head…

JP did I hear that right?
EAT THE BABIES!!

How crass!.. :flushed:

Neoprene: Keanu Reeves character in The Matrix

1 Like

I think that’s a sexual practice.

1 Like

AOC nods her head in agreement LOL
New Green Deal

WOW that was another tough call! But this week’s winner is Michael Egbert!! :partying_face: :partying_face:

Those were some really great answers to the extra credit question! It really is amazing once we think about what would happen with the elimination of fossil fuels. Special mention goes to Jacob Kaufman for this summation of what could happen.

Without a doubt any attempt to eliminate fossil fuels couls easily send us back to the 1800’s before the industrial revolution!

Here are the answers to this week’s questions.

Clue 1: No matter what room in the house your toddler plays in I am there to help ensure their safety.

Answer 1: What are tamper-resistant receptacles?

Clue 2: I’m 48” wide and 96” long and found all over the home.

Answer 2: What is a standard sheet of gypsum board or a standard sheet of sheathing?

Clue 3: I help equalize pressure and help keep the stinky smells out.

Answer 3: What are vents for the sanitary drainage system?

Clue 4: I help keep you toasty warm in the Winter and nice and cool in the Summer and I don’t use any energy.

Answer 4: What is insulation?

Clue 5: Whether I’m located at the top and bottom of a stair set or at either end of a hallway when I am manipulated I work the same.

Answer 5: What is a three-way switch?

Extra credit question - First this is intended to be an educational and not political question so please keep on the subject and leave out your political viewpoints and comments. This is a two part question.

Part 1 – What are the fossil fuels?

Part 2 – There is a push on to eliminate the use of all fossil fuels. If this is actually done what affect would this have on residential construction as well as existing homes? Please provide examples for this.

Answer Part 1 – The fossil fuels are crude oil (petroleum), natural gas, and coal.

Answer Part 2 – The elimination of fossil fuels in this way would have an astronomical impact on residential construction. Fossil fuels are not just energy sources used to power engines, generators, etc. Fossil fuels, as well as their extraction and processing byproducts, are also used in the creation of many materials and the operation of various residential systems. These are only some of the many uses of fossil fuels that would be effected by this effort in residential construction both new and existing.
• Every residential appliance that uses a fossil fuel for its operation would need to be eliminated from production and replaced with all electric appliances. In existing homes any fossil fuel appliance even those that are perfectly functional would require replacement. Some very simple but costly examples of the necessary appliances would be; HVAC systems, water heaters, cooking appliances, and in a growing number of cases even gas clothes dryers.
• Fossil fuels as well as their extraction and processing byproducts are themselves used as components in the manufacturing of many, many building products used such as PVC piping, plastics found all around the home in the electrical system and other components, sealants, as well as many other materials you never see such as adhesives, window seals, faucet washers, and on and on and on. The elimination of the mining and use of fossil fuels will require re-engineering and production of so many different product replacements.
• Fossil fuels have allowed for the creation of new and more reliable and longer lasting replacement products for older products. Elimination of fossil fuels will place us back to utilizing older and less reliable product designs as well as the loss of many familiar products used today that may have no substitute without the fossil fuel component.
• Elimination of fossil fuels will now require mining/extraction and use of many other natural products and byproducts of natural product processing to create many materials used in the construction of a home. One very good example is the mining for more copper to use for piping. Not only will this significantly drive up the cost of construction but will also deplete more limited natural resources much quicker.

Congratulations, Michael! Way to study and search for the correct answer. :smile:

Hahaha thanks! That pretty much was my immediate thought to part 2.
Congratulations to the winner!

Congratulations Michael!

Congratulations Michael!

WTG Michael!

Wow, awesome! Thanks to Mr Scanlan and everyone else who helps put these together. These weekly questions are fun and make you think, especially us new guys.

Michael do have have a website?

Congratulations, Michael! :smile:

Marc, I don’t right now (unless you count my wife’s and my travel blog from last year). I’m working with an established company to get my Virginia ride alongs completed then planning to work for them. So I haven’t set up an independent business entity or website.

1 Like

Mike, we can’t seem to see you listed as a member, can you verify your INACHI ID#?

Marcel, I’m 19110403

Fresh number… :smile: