Questions Of The Week July 30

HOWDY & Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

If no eligible winner after 48 hours the Questions will be open to all members.
Good luck! :cowboy_hat_face:

1. The weakest force in nature is _______
    a) Electric force
    b) Gravitational force
    c) MARCEL force
    d) Magnetic force

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) When a current flows through a resistance, the electrical _______ is converted to _______

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) When something burns on the stove in the kitchen, the whole kitchen starts smelling smoky from the _______

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Describe what you see!

roof6

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) How many methods of heat transfer are there?
Name the method/methods that does not require physical contact.
2 part answer

Extra Credit
Get all questions correct and this one, you may receive an extra prize!
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
But I guess that stuff will have to wait

1 Like

I know the extra credit!!! They happen to be my favorite artist so this one came easy to me.

Nice questions, Marc!

1 Like

Thanks, Marc, for doing these questions. I appreciate it, my friend. :smile:

1 Like
  1. B
    2 energy…heat
    3 smoke
  2. Roof leak, boot damaged, vent extension is too short, boot not properly installed.
    5 3 methods of heat transfer, part2 radiation
    EC John Anderson… “Money in the Bank”
1 Like

Good questions Marc, thanks for you time!

HA HA!
It’s about time you gave answers… …
Good answers Dave, thanks for your time. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Been crazy busy inspecting new build dumpster fire, chit storm, train wrecks … we took a week off for my birthday and I happened to check the board… I really do appreciate the time you (and all other members whom contribute) take to create the questions of the week… its helped us tremendously in our early years… there is always something learned…lately we can afford to buy the books that deliver our business cards to folks effectively

1 Like

My answers did not come out the way I originally posted.

Due to these very low mortgage rates, I’m swamped.
It’s like a marathon. Had 2 Mon Tues, Wed off, now starting yesterday a 7 day marathon including Sat Sun.
I postponed tomorrow’s 'cause were in the hurricane warning zone.
At a minimum it’s gonna get WET.

3 Likes

Congrats, I was going to take a stab at this one but you beat me to it! Nice work!

Questions now open to all members (except ONE)

1. The Gravitational force is the weakest natural force.
  2. Electrical Energy to Heat or Thermal Energy
  3. Smoke particulates, and being warmer than the room air they rise and circulate quickly.
  4. A plumbing vent that is too short, the lead flashing has deteriorated and is jot installed correctly. It looks like a sloppy roof replacement job.
  5. There are three methods of heat transfer: convection, conduction, and radiation. Radiation does not require physical contact. Convection is the transfer of heat by a fluid, which includes gases, and so is sometimes considered non-contact heat transfer as well.

EC: the song is Money in the Bank by John Anderson

Happy Birthday Dave !

1 Like

Last chance closing it out tomorrow

Good questions Marc!

Where are all those INACHI Brainiacs at these days??

Sometimes we’re flooded with responses, sometimes not, although usually many views without participation.
In all these years I still haven’t figured it out.

Congrats to Michael Egbert and Dave Fetty.
4 out of 5 is good!
Question 3 was the one that didn’t get the term/word I was hoping for.
Michael was closer with his explanation.

1. The weakest force in nature is _______
    a) Electric force
    b) Gravitational force
    c) MARCEL force
    d) Magnetic force
    b Gravitational force
    Explanation: Gravitational force is the weakest force in nature as it does not bind anything strongly with its help

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) When a current flows through a resistance, the electrical _______ is converted to _______
energy heat
https://electronicsclub.info/power.htm#overheating

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) When something burns on the stove in the kitchen, the whole kitchen starts smelling smoky from the _______
diffusion
When something burns on the stove, the atoms of the burnt food starts spreading in the kitchen by random atomic motion by the process of diffusion. The burnt food atoms start moving from places where their concentration is high to regions of low concentration

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Roof vent stack too low, flashing damaged
Plumbing vent pipe(s) terminated less than 6 inches above the roof surface below. Debris can block vent pipe extension openings with such short pipes. Blocked vent pipes can cause sewer gases to enter living spaces

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) How many methods of heat transfer are there?. Name the method that does not require physical contact.
2 part answer
three
radiation

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
But I guess that stuff will have to wait
John Anderson - Money In the Bank

1 Like

Congratulations to Michael and Dave!

Congrats guys! :wink:

Awesome, thanks Marc! As soon as I saw diffusion it made sense. Great questions as always, thanks for putting these together.

1 Like