Questions Of The Week March 7th ~ YIPPEE

Questions Of The Week March 7th          

**** Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

If no one is close, I may open it up to the Questions Wiz Junior Fudge

Good luck! :cowboy_hat_face:

1. The electrical system is an important, and potentially hazardous
    part of a home AND your inspection
    List electrical issues that may be observed in your home inspection

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) _______can substitute for an air conditioner most of the year in most climates

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) How many different ways can moisture move in and out of a home?
What way is the most prevalent?

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Oh boy! :secret:
What healthy tea is made from a hermaphrodite

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Picture #1 ~ Report it!

Picture #2 ~ Report it!

QOTW Pic2

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Extra Credit (MAY be an additional prize, it depends but DON"T depend on it :smirk:

Who said this on WHAT tune!
If you shave your legs

1 Like

Awesome Marc!

1 Like

“You ain’t no hippie chick” by Braiden Hair?

Cool questions, Marc! Thanks for doin’ them! :smile:

2 Likes
  1. loose breakers, Zinsco & Federal Pacific panels, loose conductors, double lugging, undersized conductor, moisture intrusion.
  2. whole house fan
  3. 3 ways, air current (most prevalent with 98% of moisture intrusion) heat transfer and diffusion
  4. Camellia sinensis
  5. Pic 1: Upon inspecting the plumbing underneath the kitchen sink, there were several defects observed: unapproved corrugated plumbing material which can trap food waste and cause obnoxious ordors to spew into the kitchen, improper plumbing trap that may cause a possible back up of water and slow the process of drainage, improper highloop installation from the dishwasher. A highloop is installed on the highest part of the drainage system and is intended to prevent water draining back into the dishwasher. Recommend having a qualified licensed plumber to correct these deficiencies with the proper plumbing material and installation.
    Pic 2: The inside of the cabinet appears to have an old glue like material spread over the majority of the inside. Recommend a qualified cabinetry carpenter remove the glue and restain to original look.
1 Like

I have some answers on standby! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I better get in here before Ken Jennings gets his change

1. shorts, antiquated wiring, improper wire guages, afci/gfci missing, fixtures/receptacles not working, open ground, false ground, reversed polarity, overheating, inadequate clearances, exposed wiring connections (no box or missing covers), solid aluminum branch wiring, absence of smoke/CO alarms, damaged raceways/conduit, over/under fused circuits
  2. Whole house fan (although I grew up in FL with a mother that would insist the answer is windows alone)
  3. 3- air, diffusion, heat transfer, air transfer(leaks) being the most prevalent
  4. green tea
  5. Picture 1: Corrugated drain pipe present under kitchen sink. Drain fittings should have a smooth interior waterway to promote proper drainage flow. Replace drain pipe with proper fitting to avoid obstructions to drainage and clogs.
    Picture 2: Nothing in my report as it appears moisture damage to the stain and cosmetic

song: Shave Your Legs by The Pursuit of Happiness

1 Like

You almost made me spit out my juice! :rofl:

I wanted to go back and correct change to chance but that would have disqualified me :wink:

Glad you didn’t waste any of that stuff mixed with the juice!

1 Like

Good questions Marc, thanks for your time!!

1 Like
  1. Exposed wiring and splices, un-grounded 3-prong outlets, painted outlets, double tapped breakers, reversed polarity, missing panel knockouts, no GFCI’s, doubled lugged neutrals

2. Whole house fan

3. Air movement, diffusion through materials, heat transfer: Air Movement most prevalent.

4. Camellia Tea

5. PICTURE #1: Plumbing should have smooth interior surfaces on all waste pipe fittings to allow the free flow of drain water. Although the accordion-type, flexible fittings may facilitate the connections, they will also reduce the rapid flow of water down the drain and may hold debris. I recommend it be replaced. The work should be completed by a qualified plumber.

PICTURE 2: Signs of suspected mold was present inside the cabinet (location unknown). Signs of suspected water intrusion were present at this same location from warping and de-lamination of the cabinet material. I recommend a water infiltration contractor be contacted to further inspect for the source of the water infiltration and repair as needed.

Shave your Legs / Pursuit of Happiiness

1 Like

OK go!
I think I got this one figured out.

You want my answers?

1: • Overhead wires within reach from ground/entrances/opening windows or doors
• No AFCI protection throughout building, and/or GFCI protection in areas that can easily come in contact with water (garage/bathroom/kitchen/laundry, etc)
• AFCI and/or GFCI protected breakers/receptacles that fail to trip
• Electrical panel missing breaker filler plates and/or knockouts
• Exposed wiring, loose wiring, damaged wiring, etc
• Loosely mounted or worn receptacles or switches
• Double-tapped breakers
• Damaged breakers
• Older type electrical panels/breakers with known safety issues (FPE/ITE/Bulldog/Zinsco/Sylvania, etc)
2: Attic/whole house fan
3: Three ways - air current/movement, diffusion through materials, or by heat transfer. Air current/movement is most prevalent at 98%
4: Green tea (Camellia sinensis)
5: Picture #1 - There is a flexible type P-trap kit installed underneath the kitchen sink. This type of kit is not approved and can allow for build-up/debris in the waste line, poor drainage/drain clogs, bacterial growth and unpleasant odors. Replacement by a licensed plumber is recommended.
Picture #2 - Old adhesive was observed inside a cabinet. Some old adhesives can contain asbestos. Up until the 1980s, manufacturers mixed asbestos into many types of adhesives. Asbestos adhesives were used in the finishes of countertops, cabinetry and other fixtures. Testing/removal as needed by a licensed asbestos contractor is recommended.
Extra Credit: The Pursuit of Happiness / Shave Your legs

My number 5 picture #2 might be way off from what you’re looking for! :grinning:

If @jfudge gets this I’m going to be both happy, in support for his knowledge, and agry for him always winning haha.

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to answer the questions as of yep!
I’m still thinking about them…Uh Huh!

1 Like

I’m not here to win, just tossing in my answers! I actually donated my last win to a friendly fellow inspector! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s the spirit! :smiley:

1 Like

(Me thinking of ways to be super friendly to @jfudge) haha jk

2 Likes