Questions Of The Week March 7th ~ YIPPEE

I already referred to him as a Jeopardy genius. Good luck topping that!

1 Like

Hurry up please

Go ahead…I’ll let someone else win…

Give your answers Roy! Lets see what we’re up against! :wink:

1-(Mr. Fudge’s :wink:) No AFCI protection throughout building, and/or GFCI protection in areas that can easily come in contact with water (garage/bathroom/kitchen/laundry, etc)
• AFCI and/or GFCI protected breakers/receptacles that fail to trip
• Electrical panel missing breaker filler plates and/or knockouts
• Exposed wiring, loose wiring, damaged wiring, etc
• Loosely mounted or worn receptacles or switches
• Double-tapped breakers
• Damaged breakers
• Older type electrical panels/breakers with known safety issues (FPE/ITE/Bulldog/Zinsco/Sylvania, etc)
2-Whole house fan
3-Water vapor moves in only three ways:
Air transportation= Most prevalent,Diffusion through materials and thermal diffusion.
4-Camellia
5- Pic #1= Accordion drain pipe, AAV is of improper height and no high loop on the dishwasher drain.
Pic #2=Cosmetic nothing to report.

1 Like

Good answers Mr. Lewis :slight_smile:

My thought with the AAV, is that it is more than 4 inches above the horizontal branch drain/connection (seems to be a difference of information on these when searching the web, it seems to be an Oatey AAV). The dishwasher drain ties into the garburator, and we can’t see the rest of it. The cabinets looked old, that’s where my glue comment came from… (could be out to lunch)…:smiley:

Well … … … this is a tough call for me.
The winner is Jacob Kaufman ~ congrats!

It was not fun or easy to “grade” the responses about the under kitchen sink stuff.
No one got the healthy tea question.
No one got the cabinet pic question. That disappointed me, as a licensed Termite Operator! What you are viewing is after I removed all the infested/damaged storage boxes, this is the remnants of active subterranean termite mud tubes.

1. The electrical system is an important, and potentially hazardous part of a home AND your inspection
    List electrical issues that may be observed in your home inspection
    Improper wire junctions/terminations
    Buried Wiring
    Ungrounded receptacles
    Knob & Tube Wiring
    Missing Wire Bushings/Clamps
    Extension Cords
    Double Tapped & Double Lugged Circuit Breakers
    Improperly Wired Receptacles
    Non-Functional GFCI Protection
    Improperly Wired Sub-panels
    10 Most Common Electrical Issues

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) _______can substitute for an air conditioner most of the year in most climates
Whole house fan

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) How many different ways can moisture move in and out of a home?
What way is the most prevalent?
With air currents
By diffusion through materials
By heat transfer
Air movement accounts for more than 98% of all water vapor movement in building cavities

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Oh boy!
What healthy tea is made from a hermaphrodite

Rooibos the only known natural source of the antioxidant aspalathin
Aspalathus linearis is a SHRUB growing to 6ft 7in
Aspalathus linearis (Rooibos), usually grown on the western coast of South Africa
The species is hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs)
other names
Kaffree, Redbush tea, Red tea

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
pic #1 non-approved accordion drain, air admittance valve too low, dishwasher drain line missing high loop

Although a flexible accordion-shaped drain pipe is sold in home improvement and hardware stores, it is not approved for installation by plumbing codes, which require that any waste pipe fitting have a smooth interior surface that allows the free flow of drain water and prevents waste buildup clogs

The reason for the high loop is to prevent the potential backflow of water into the dishwasher and to prevent improper drainage of water. Even though dishwashers come from the factory with the drain looped up high against the side of the dishwasher, this is not an acceptable substitute for the high loop underneath the kitchen sink.
It is required by most jurisdictions and manufacturers that dishwasher drain lines be installed with a high loop. This prevents the dirty water that is being drained from being inadvertently pulled back into the dishwasher or even siphoned back into the water system.

pic #2 Subterranean termite infestation - the cabinet was packed with various books & boxes (cellulose) - this is what the remnants of their mud tubes looked like upon removing all the storage

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Who said this on WHAT tune!
If you shave your legs
Frank Zappa - Wowie Zowie
Album: Freak Out! 1966

1 Like

Congrats @jkaufman!

@mgoldenberg , I hope to never come across the home equivalent to your questions. I will be there and on this forum all day! :rofl:

3 Likes

Haha! Congrats Jacob!

1 Like

Congrats Jacob

1 Like

Well Mr. Lewis, we didn’t win! ::rofl:

Ah! :sob:
If Marc would have showed us a better pic of the termites we may have had a chance…Just Jokin’ .

1 Like

Don’t listen to anything Sir Roy says.
He’s a big mean poopie pants!

1 Like

Hey now! Deep down, Mr. Soak’em of Soak’em Home Inspections is a nice guy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha WHAT?? Everyone’s answers were pretty damn similar.
Thanks guys! This was a tough round!
The termite one I would never get because Alaska is too cold for termites hahaha. We do have carpenter ants though.
Thanks again to @mgoldenberg for a damn good round!
@jfudge I’m gunning for you next round again!

3 Likes

Congratulations, Jacob!..nice job! :smile:

1 Like

That is Sir. Mean Poopie Pants to you.Uh Huh!
Notice the capitulation.Yep! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Congratulations, Jacob!

1 Like

Very nicely done!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

2 Likes