Questions Of The Week May 28

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.
Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

All members are eligible… … … sorta… … …
Good luck! :smile:

1. What could this possibly be?

what

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) ___ are prolonged rises in voltage significantly above the designated level in the flow of electricity

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Is there a difference between a drip leg & a sediment trap?
Describe your answer ( NO! it’s not a DRIP KID broken leg)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Describe this

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) If the home has a ___ check to make sure the waste pipe from the disposal has a trap installed

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Extra Credit!
WHO sang this on WHAT SONG?
I know I got nothin’ on you

3 Likes

Great questions, Marc. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for doing the questions, Marc. Many appreciate it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Great job Marc !!

3 Likes

I guess everyone is taking the week off. I will give it a go then.

1. Dryer Vent Closure (or what’s left of one).
  2. Power surges, also known as transient voltages.
  3. Yes. Sediment traps are basically for the purposes of catching sediment and contaminates in a gas line. Drip legs are basically for catching condensate and moisture in a gas line.
  4. Neutrals have been attached to the equipment grounding terminal.
  5. Double Sink.
2 Likes

Good evening. Here are my answers.

1. Dryer vent closure
  2. Power surges or transient voltages
  3. Yes. The term is commonly used interchangeably by plumbers and inspectors, but overall sediment traps are basically for the purposes of catching sediment and contaminates in a gas line, and drip legs are basically for catching condensate and moisture in a gas line.
  4. This looks like a neutral wire on the grounding bus bar, which is ok in the main service panel, but not ok in a sub panel.
  5. Double Sink
    xtra credit: Second Hand News by Fleetwood Mac
3 Likes
  1. Dryer vent, there is usually a lid or cap over the top.
  2. Power surges
  3. While “drip legs” and “sediment traps” look similar and the terms may be used interchangeably now they described different functions in the past. Drip legs are installed at low points in gas plumbing to collect condensate from moisture in “wet gas”. Most modern municipal gas supplies are dry now, and so local codes do not always call for these. Sediment traps are installed on plumbing before appliances and are supposed to collect debris that may be in the gas flow so it does not clog components in the appliance.
  4. Without a wider shot information is somewhat limited. A neutral and grounding conductors are landed on the same buss bar. In service panel this is fine. However the cluster of red wires on the left with number labels on them suggests this could be an image from a distribution panel in which case the neutral and grounding conductors should be separated.
  5. Double sink

EC. “Second Hand News” by Fleetwood Mac

3 Likes

CONGRATS to Les Abstein ~ @labstein
You all nailed them nicely, but Les was first in for the win.

Thanks everyone :cowboy_hat_face:

WHO sang this on WHAT SONG?
I know I got nothin’ on you
Fleetwood Mac ~ Second Hand News

4 Likes

yes

5 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS Les! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Congrats Les.

3 Likes

Congrats, Les. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Congratulations Les

4 Likes

Congratulations

2 Likes

You are a smart feller :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Great job Les !!

3 Likes

Good questions Marc, congratulations Les!

3 Likes