Questions Of The Week October 11

**** Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file.
Winners of the Questions of The Week shall request their prize by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.

GOOD LUCK! ~ GO! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 ) Typical roof trusses should not touch any interior walls and should bear only on the exterior walls
True
False
Depends, but don’t depend on it

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) There are several types of devices used to collect air samples that can be analyzed for mold
Three common examples include… … …

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Most of the ants you may observe, which are responsible for gathering food, are _______ _______ workers

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Why can garages (both attached and detached) be fire hazards?

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Because of their characteristic thermal conductivity, components made of metal are usually the first places where _______ will appear in a building

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
EXTRA CREDIT ~ get them all correct including this one & get an extra special prize! :clap:
PLEASE only answer if you have submitted responses for the other ones.
We don’t wanna easily give it away now, do we? :wink:
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
And then my mind went blank

Thanks, Marc!

Great questions. :smile:

1 F
2 swab, air cassette, tape
3 sterile female
4 Oil or gasoline can drip from cars. These fluids may collect unnoticed and eventually ignite. Flammable liquids, such as gasoline, oil and paint, are commonly stored in garages.
5 Condensation

Good questions Marc, thanks for your time!

1- F
2- air cell, swabs, tape
3-carpenter ants
4-storage items like fuel,
5-frost
I lost on Jeopardy by Weird Al Yankovic

Nice set of questions Marc.

1.T

1. Impaction samplers
    Cassette samplers.
    Airborn particle collectors

2. Sterile female

3. Garages are where you are most likely to work on your car…Using flamable materials
    Flamable liquids such as paint or gas or oil are commonly stored in garages.

4. Condensation

Dj screw And then my mind went blank

1. F
  2. impaction samplers, cassette samplers, airborne-particle collectors
  3. wingless female workers
  4. Because they typically go undetected for longer periods. The fires alsl spread quickly because they’re fuelled by flammable materials and clutter.
  5. temperature differences
    XTR) My mind went black by DJ Screw

If I lose because of stupid typos than I’m going to be pissed haha. I wrote blank not black! Forgive me @mgoldenberg

Jacob, as always, THANKS for being here!
Oh… … don’t worry about the typo on the extra credit.
You got 2 of the 5 correct anyways. :smirk:

1 Like
  1. T
  2. Impaction Samplers, Cassette Samplers, Air-borne particle collectors
  3. Sterile female workers
  4. Presence of a multitude of flammable materials
  5. Condensation
    EXTRA: Weird Al Yankovic / I Lost on Jeopardy

Congats to:

Kirk Bauer & Bill Forrest!
Bill got 'em all (including the music one) so check your email :cowboy_hat_face:

1 ) Typical roof trusses should not touch any interior walls and should bear only on the exterior walls
True
False
Depends, but don’t depend on it
True
Garage Inspection by Kenton Shepard
(https://www.nachi.org/garage-inspection.htm)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) There are several types of devices used to collect air samples that can be analyzed for mold
Three common examples include… … …
**impaction samplers that use a calibrated air pump to impact spores onto a prepared microscope slide;
**cassette samplers, which may be of the disposable or one-time-use type, and also employ forced air to impact spores onto a collection media
**airborne-particle collectors that trap spores directly on a culture dish. These may be utilized to identify the species of mold that has been found

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Most of the ants you may observe, which are responsible for gathering food, are _______ _______ workers
sterile female workers

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Why can garages (both attached and detached) be fire hazards?
Oil or gasoline can drip from cars. These fluids may collect unnoticed and eventually ignite.
Flammable liquids, such as gasoline, oil and paint, are commonly stored in garages. Some other examples are brake fluid, degreaser, motor oil, varnish, lighter fluid, and fluids containing solvents, such as paint thinner. These chemicals are flammable in their fluid form, and some may create explosive vapors.
Heaters and boilers, which are frequently installed in garages, create sparks that can ignite fumes or fluids. Car batteries, too, will spark under certain conditions.
Mechanical or electrical building projects are often undertaken in the garage. Fires can easily start while a careless occupant is welding near flammable materials.
https://www.nachi.org/attached-garage-fire-hazards.htm

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Because of their characteristic thermal conductivity, components made of metal are usually the first places where _______ will appear in a building
Condensation , also called sweating, forms on building materials when the temperature drops below the dew point, which is the temperature at which droplets of water vapor are forced so closely together that they coalesce into liquid water. Because of their characteristic thermal conductivity, components made of metal are usually the first places where condensation will appear in a building

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
EXTRA CREDIT ~ get them all correct including this one & get an extra special prize! :clap:
PLEASE only answer if you have submitted responses for the other ones.
We don’t wanna easily give it away now, do we? :wink:
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
And then my mind went blank
“Weird Al” Yankovic performing I Lost On Jeopardy. © 1984 Volcano

Parody of
Jeopardy ~ Greg Kihn Band~ 1983

Congratulations Bill and Kirk!

You guys are winners here and by helping bring more members to participate.

Thank you!

Can any of you members help us here?: https://forum.nachi.org/t/december-10th-deadline-to-nominate-moty-award/156946

Thanks guys

Thanks guys, as a relatively new member, this is great!

Congratulations for winning guys!