Questions on 1951 Home

Please check the images and reply on how you would write it up!

This one, too!

If you do not know how, then why are you a home inspector?

I know how. I am assembling a narrative database to put into place on my HIP software to make it easier to do reports OnSite. I want to see how other inspectors are writing them up.

run forrest run…

James, I don’t get it…

• Roof is at the end of it’s useful life, considerable clawing of the shingle edges is present throughout the surface of the roof. Recommend replacement by a qualified roofing contractor.
    -There are two or more layers of roofing present. Recommend a complete removal and all necessary decking repairs prior to the installation of a new roofing system.

What’s the concern? The ABS pipes?

There are [minor, moderate, major] moisture stains and efflorescence, a mineral residue, present at the [LOCATION] foundation. This is most often caused by improper grading or drainage of gutters near the foundation and should be corrected to prevent further moisture intrusion.

• Drain waste pipes at the [LOCATION][LOCATION] are not properly supported. Recommend the installation of the proper type and number of supports for all waste lines to prevent mechanical damage and leakage waste water.
    -Some framing at the [LOCATION][LOCATION] is not constructed using current and acceptable methods. This includes undersized components and materials used which have questionable structural integrity. Recommend a complete evaluation and all repairs as determined by a structural engineer or a qualified contractor.

What’s the issue? I didn’t look too closely, but that just looks like an old electrical panel which has been abandoned and is now being used as a junction box.

Again, what’s the issue? Just looks like a condensate pump to me. Am I missing something?

Cameron,

#2 I commented on as being an S trap.

#5 IS an old sub panel converted to a junction box (put it up as a reference as to what it was, not necessarily that something was wrong with it.)

#6 Same thing. The buyer didn’t know what it was. There was no floor drain for the water heater and this pump was installed on both furnaces.

How did you determine it to be an S-trap?

After seeing some diagrams on this forum I decided to not write it up as an s trap because it seems to meet the acceptable distance of pipe to trap diameter.

I hope you mention the cast iron drain pipe and galvanized water pipe ( rust from the inside to the outside )

Good post Sheehan .
I am sure a lot of Newbies learned some thing from this string.

Picture # 1.

Main Roof

• 3 Tab Asphalt Shingle roofing at the Main Roof of the home.
  • Estimated Age of the Roofing = 25 + Years / Design Life of Roofing = 15 - 20 [FONT=Arial][size=2]Years. 
    [/size][/FONT]- Older roofing with wear, aggregate loss and shingle curl.
  • Recommend obtaining estimations for roof replacement at this time.
  • Estimated Age of the Roofing = 25 + Years / Design Life of Roofing = 15 - 20 [FONT=Arial][size=2]Years. ??[/size][/FONT]

ive seen shingles curl like this in 12 years on poorly ventilated roof. just saying…

[quote=“canderson5, post:7, topic:72093”]

• Drain waste pipes at the [LOCATION][LOCATION] are not properly supported. Recommend the installation of the proper type and number of supports for all waste lines to prevent mechanical damage and leakage waste water.
    -Some framing at the [LOCATION][LOCATION] is not constructed using current and acceptable methods. This includes undersized components and materials used which have questionable structural integrity. Recommend a complete evaluation and all repairs as determined by a structural engineer or a qualified contractor.

[QUOTE]

I agree with pipe supporting- I try to stay away from picking apart framing that was added later and was not originally necessry and original has not been hacked up - in my opinion is has been added to remove some bounce or squeeking in floors or whatever.
I always recommend all debris be removed and vapor barrier be installed.

Wayne, I did mention that. The buyer’s father was there and he brought it up because he is having problems with it right now.

Roy, thanks! Something my grandpa taught me is that after 12 years in the business he still learned something new every week. It’s always good to learn from each other.

Joseph, is it wise to estimate the life of the roof in writing? I normally just tell the client how old I THINK it is. I just don’t want them thinking that I am giving them a warranty on their roof if I say “it looks 10 years old and should last 20” (thereby saying that it SHOULD last 10 more years).

Robert, the roof did look newer and the attic only had 2 turbine vents and a lot of signs of previous moisture on the sheathing. This cupping was only on the north side of the roof where there were a lot of trees shading it as well.

I just had a conversation with a plumber last week who said (Paraphrased) “***If the drain does not have a vertical vent coming off of it when it turns downward then it is always considered an S-trap. The horizontal distance does not change it from being an S-trap.***”

I was not familiar with that interpretation so I thanked him and tried to look it up but have yet to find what he is talking about. Anyone heard this before? It would potentially apply to Sheehan’s sink drain if true.

It is incorrect, that’s why you can’t find any support for the statement.

Electrical grid probably doesn’t have grounding. Nobody mentioned that one as far as I’m aware.

the word “vented” can be attatched to either s trap or p trap