questions

Originally Posted By: John Harrison
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Im in the process of taking a open book test with questions that are not in the reading material.

True or False

1. Two estimating books are the Bluebook, and the National Renovation and Insurance Repair Estimator.

2. Full face respirators can be worn only if the boss says it is needed on the job.
(Shouldn't this be false and be left to the opinion of the Boss and the Inspector as to weather a respirator is needed.)
As in the Boss may say no yet the Inspector may feel he should be wearing one.

Can anyone please help with this question, and or lead me to the source of material on it.

thanks for your assistance

Originally Posted By: tallen

We can’t do that. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well at least I will not.

(anymore anyway)

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Can’t or Won’t ??? Help me ??

I've asked the "Instructors" as to why there are questions on the test that are not in the reading material.

They replied to make you think out of the box and find outside resources to help get the answers such as Books, Internet, asking other inspectors.

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi John,

1. Inspectors do not give estimates!

2. Who is going to tell you that you cannot wear a respirator!?

What class or school is this?

Carla

Its The Certified Residential Inspection & Mold CRIE test by Abbie

I have to take 3 test.
Certified Residential Inspection & Mold CRIE
Mold Inspection & Remediation - IAQ CMIR
Building Inspection & Mold IAQ CBIE

Ive passed the CBIE so far.

Originally Posted By: tallen

OH I am sorry.

I was under the impression you were taking a test and wanted to look at the other guys paper.

I don’t know about the estimating books ,but Carla is right about the respirator. If anyone wants to wear one no one can tell you you can’t!

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks guys the biggest problem is ive taken this test once already and Abbie says ive failed it, but wont show any proof that I did indead fail the test. Now to retake it I get to pay a $50 retake fee.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi John,

who or what is Abbie, that is a new one on me ??

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

My fault

Its AABIE

http://www.aabieonline.com/

some of these questions on the test I find rather stupid.

The project manager manages these 3 main facets of the project
A. Time, Budget, Resources
B. Time, Budget, Clients
C. Clients, Resources, Tasks
D. None of the above

isnt the project manager involved in all of these facets.

Every field tech should have his/her own
A. Car
B. hydration system
C. teeth
D. personal grooming kit
E. Personal protective equipment
F. C and D

It drives me nuts haveing to answer questions like this

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

And to think we just took out the humor in our online exam version 5.0 at http://www.nachi.org/entranceexam5.htm and somebody is already putting our old jokes into their open book exam.

Joe Ferry... Do we get royalties?

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Nick

Originally Posted By: rray

Don’t categorically or summarily state that home inspectors don’t provide estimates for repairs. Some do. In at least one state, Oklahoma, estimates for repairs are expected and, perhaps, even required as part and parcel of the home inspector’s report. I believe there are areas in South Florida (or at least one very, very large franchise doing about 5,000 inspections annually) where home inspectors also provide repair estimates.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: chorne

Not in any SOP

Beyond the scope of an Home Inspection

Creates more vunerability for litigation

Not a good idea

Do any Home Inspection schools offer courses in estimating?

Carla

chorne wrote:
Not in any SOP

True.
chorne wrote:
Beyond the scope of an Home Inspection

Not necessarily. Depends on where you live and where you do business.
chorne wrote:
Creates more vunerability for litigation

I agree. But in some areas that simply is something they have to deal with. Just like I have to deal with the Leko decision in my state.
chorne wrote:
Not a good idea

Your opinion, of course, which happens to agree with mine, but that doesn't mean our opinions are everyone's opinion.

I believe there are some HI schools in Oklahoma that teach estimating.

Remember to always look at the location of the poster when accepting or rejecting the poster's statements, opinions, or ideas. What works in one location sometimes doesn't work in another location.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame

How could an HI estimate repair work?

I know we aren't required to here, but practically...how could you?

Unless you were going to do the repair work yourself so you knew your cost and margin...and that would always be a conflict of interest and if not prohibited, pretty shady business operations.

I know from my experience building that I could call 3 different HVAC guys to install a new furnace and A/C in a 1500sf ranch and the estimates ranged from $4,000-10,000.

Unless an HI were to say (repairs to roof are estimated to cost somewhere in the range of $1,500-$5,000)...and I dont see how that adds any value at all to a buyer.

I know that in Oklahoma there are cost schedules that they use. It’s no different from the repair estimate books that the car dealerships use. And I believe there is at least one national cost schedule book in publication for HI use.

None of them, of course, provide an estimate of $x,xxx.xx. It's always a range, and it simply is used for negotiating purposes. The Realtors won that battle there in Oklahoma. Of course, it probably started with one HI who knew construction costs from his previous job and thought he would go one up on the competition and provide repair estimates. Of course, the Realtors like that, started using him, and things just ballooned from there.

Those are the kinds of things that happen when there is no national regulation or licensing of the HI industry. Each person, locale, city, county, or state creates its own like thing.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

I really had to ponder whether or not I should post this, but I’m going to…if you have issues with it, let me know and I’ll delete it or edit.

The problem with questions like this is credibility. I mean, alot of people, particularly building inspectors such as myself, have a low opinion of home inspectors (not neccassarily me, but many do). When I took the tests that I have taken and passed from the International Code Council, I can assure you that they didn't ask me if I had teeth or a personal grooming kit. On the contrary, they asked me questions such as what the AIC rating of a fuse at a lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboard is when transformer has X amount of impedance and the has X resistance.

Questions such as the stupid crap posted above do one thing for me: It makes the certification being attained absolutley worthless. I mean, do you think they have stuff like this on the PE exam? Of course not...thats why a PE is respected and not laughed at.

Questions like this make fools of the entire industry. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame

I agree 100% and have to take it even further.

I have been witness to an HI as a seller who made me want to tell the seller that they were wasting their money.

The term home inspection is so vague, it varies with each individual inspector and the credentials supposedly created to distinguish individuals, have very low standards.

While the silly questions are unprofessional, even most of the technical questions I've seen have pretty low standards.

I believe the credential process for this industry has a long way to go.

Ryan Jackson wrote:
The problem with questions like this is credibility. . . . Questions such as the stupid crap posted above do one thing for me: It makes the certification being attained absolutley worthless. . . . Questions like this make fools of the entire industry. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

There are a lot of questions in the many posts above. Can you be a little more explicit in telling us which questions you are talking about? That would help us put your perspective into, well, perspective.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russell Frame wrote:
I have been witness to an HI as a seller who made me want to tell the seller that they were wasting their money.

Huh? Do you need to edit that sentence? It doesn't seem to make any sense.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

rkirk wrote:

There are a lot of questions in the many posts above. Can you be a little more explicit in telling us which questions you are talking about? That would help us put your perspective into, well, perspective.

No problem. The questions I am refering to be would be questions like the following:

Quote:
2. Full face respirators can be worn only if the boss says it is needed on the job.
(Shouldn't this be false and be left to the opinion of the Boss and the Inspector as to weather a respirator is needed.)
As in the Boss may say no yet the Inspector may feel he should be wearing one.

Also,
Quote:
Every field tech should have his/her own
A. Car
B. hydration system
C. teeth
D. personal grooming kit
E. Personal protective equipment
F. C and D

and
Quote:
The project manager manages these 3 main facets of the project
A. Time, Budget, Resources
B. Time, Budget, Clients
C. Clients, Resources, Tasks
D. None of the above

I should have been a bit more specific before, but that should help clarify what I am talking about. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City