Quick Tips for Inspecting Rod and Pipe Electrodes

CEEs are more for large scale commercial here. But rods aren’t used often anymore. Lean more to the water main or ground plate (3’ out and 2’ down) it’s much easier than banging rods.

You’re both welcome and thanks for the kind words. :sunglasses:

Just curious they don’t use rebar in the footings in your neck of the woods for residential construction?

Not in residential no.

It’s the norm around here although I have seen some Architects design with 3/8" rebar in the footings so the CEE isn’t required.

They put 1/4" grid frame in slab foundations but that’s it. Our code changed a few years ago to make #6Cu the “one size fits all” ground wire for 400A and down, is that the case for you?

A #6 copper to a driven electrode is all that is required regardless of service size. CEE is larger.

That’s kind of strange. For any service a ground rod would require a #6 as the largest size, a CEE a #4 as the largest size but for a water pipe electrode and a 400 amp service a #1/0 or #2 would be required depending on the size of the service entrance conductors.

I have loved very good advice

Jose, welcome to our forum!..Enjoy!.. :smile:

To piggy back off of what one individual said, some areas do require two. Most of them are in areas with a more Sandy soil so two 5/8" ground rods are used. Usually 8 feet apart, no less than 6 and no more than 10. At least for new construction for the past few years. Each municipality may have their own requirements, so they can meet or exceed code. It is always good to know just to be more informed.

Only the no less than 6 foot distance is a NEC requirement. The NEC does not have a maximum distance.

The NEC allows a single electrode if the resistance is proven as 25 ohms or less. Easier to just drive two. No need to test or expensive test equipment.

I agree, around here no one tests a single rod they just install two. You could install one rod but when it tests above 25Ω’s so you’ll need a second rod anyway.

Also the NEC actually suggests in the informational note that they be spaced 16’ apart for better efficiency.

Informational Note: The paralleling efficiency of rods is increased by spacing them twice the length of the longest rod.

Never said it was code. It is a general distance and was actually what was required for where I was doing work.

It all differs from industrial to commercial to residential because they all require different types of grounding.

I read that as well, and in commercial I remember we used 20ft. 2 rods lengths.

The NEC does not differentiate between grounding a residence vs a commercial or industrial application. Were those job specs?

This is why I dislike forums.

So what you’re saying is, single phase residential dwelling is going to be grounded the exact same as a three phase 99 room hotel? Have a good night. This is the last response to you.

I beleive that what Jim is saying the NEC requirements are the same because they’re based on the size of the service not the type of structure. The requirements for a single phase 1200 amp service in a big house would be the same as a three phase 1200 amp service in a hotel. Often in large structures the design will exceed the requirements in the NEC specifying things like 3/4x10’ rods etc.

That is the thing; NEC is the minimum. That is like having a D grade average. Just because I said it is what I did does not mean I am quoting NEC code as in most places it can and will be exceeded per the inspecting and governing body. So if someone wants to say NEC doesn’t say…NEC this…NEC that…

It makes no sense because it just shows me they are focused on the minimum or D grade level thinking and probably have not done work on military installations, massive dorm rooms, worked in a gold mine with major equipment among many other items. It is great to know NEC code, but like I said, it is the absolute minimum and it gets annoying when someone says:

Well NEC code says…

Since most home inspectors will not be inspecting using specific job specifications from specialized facilities it makes sense to quote the most commonly used and readily available standards that would have been applied during construction. Talking about 3 point grounding electrodes, ground rings would only distort their perception when dealing with what they are going to be looking at and evaluating.