Radon calculations

I am taking the Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider course and I am having trouble with one of the questions on quiz 1. The question is:

If a gallon container held air with 4 pCi/L, there would be about 4 (quarts per gallon) multiplied by 4 (pCi/L) multiplied by 2.22 disintegrations per minutes, or about _____ disintegrations per minutes of radon atoms in the container.

What answer are you giving?

Hi JJonas

I am new to the InterNACHI school. I am not sure how I am supposed to get help from the school or the instructors. What is the best way for me to get course related questions answered?

As indicated in the coursework…

I/we have no problem with assisting you with your questions, BUT, we may not be supplying the correct answer for your coursework. Now, my original question of what answer you gave was to see if you are actually wrong, or if there is a glitch in the course which does happen sometimes. My only other question before trying to assist you (sorta the ‘teach’ mode as opposed to just telling you the answer), is “How did you arrive at your answer”? You know, like in school, when your teacher instructs you to “Show your work”. It helps us to help you, if we knew how you came up with your answer.

Thanks for letting me know that. Yes, I am trying to understand how to do the work, and not just get the answer.

My work:
4pCi x 2.22 disintegrations per minute = 8.88

1 Like

I don’t think I factored in the “gallon” is about 4 [quote=“jjonas, post:4, topic:167398, full:true”]

As indicated in the coursework…

I/we have no problem with assisting you with your questions, BUT, we may not be supplying the correct answer for your coursework. Now, my original question of what answer you gave was to see if you are actually wrong, or if there is a glitch in the course which does happen sometimes. My only other question before trying to assist you (sorta the ‘teach’ mode as opposed to just telling you the answer), is “How did you arrive at your answer”? You know, like in school, when your teacher instructs you to “Show your work”. It helps us to help you, if we knew how you came up with your answer.
[/quote]

I don’t think I factored in the “gallon” is about 4 quarts

Actually… a Gallon IS 4 Quarts… and is ABOUT 4 Liters… as in pCi/L (L=Liters), 4 Liters = 1.05669 Gallons… so… close enough for this question.

agreed…

new work:
4pCi/L x 4 (quarts per gallon) x 2.22 disintegrations per minute = 35.52 (approximately)

1 Like

I’ve never used a forum in my studies, where is our conversation within the site/ forum? I backed out of our chat and looked for where our chat was located on the site (category) and I could not find it.

Try this. There are no instructors setting by to assist anyone, that I’m aware of. If you’re lucky you’ll get an active member to assist you with any questions with any of the courses that you may have. Or maybe Ben will be around and chime in. Other than that you’re on your own as far as I know.

1 Like

Thank you Christopher. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions?

JJonas

thank you for your help. I wasn’t sure how things worked because I am new to the InterNACHI School.

1 Like

No problem.
As I posted above, at the beginning of all the courses, it instructs you where to seek help if needed.
Good luck to you going forward.

Thanks again! Take care.

1 Like

Kevin … One other thing. I started testing for radon in 1988 or 1989. I have attended 2 EPA certified training classes for certification & licensing. The classes were 2-3 days long. I have set thru MANY annual or bi-annual CE classes for radon. In the 31-32 yrs I’ve done this OTHER than in a class I have NEVER had a reason to do any calculations like this NOR known anybody that has had a reason to know it.

For a technician in a lab it may be different. Learn enough to pass the class BUT don’t sweat this type stuff

2 Likes

Hey Dan

thanks for that information. The course has a lot of information, so I welcome the knowledge that the calculations are not needed outside of the classroom environment.

I know this chat was a year ago but I have to say it was very helpful for me. I am taking my Radon exam this Saturday and have been stressing to learn the math side of it. very helpful thank you!

Welcome to our forum, Lou!..Enjoy! :smile: