Radon equipment

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello every one,

My name is brad Myers I am new to the message board and this orginization.

I’m looking at some radon testing equipment and was wondering if E-Perm is a good product or not. also do you have any suggestions on other testing equipment Brands?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I like E-Perms because they integrate over time evenly (charcoal is end-of-test biased because of the short 3.8 day 1/2 life and fast absorption rate) like continuous monitors do with the cost structure (a few dollars per test) of diffusion barrier charcoal kits. Also, you can read them on-site (which has a marketing benefit) and NACHI offers members free electret recharging (I built us an electret recharger).

They posses no intrinsic tamper resistance so check out: http://www.nachi.org/cage.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: rwills

Hi Brad, First, Welcome to the org. and the board! I totally agree with Nick on the Eperm issue and have been using them for 2 years. Although the initial layout is quite costly, It was recovered in a very short period of time (approx 3-4 mths) in my case. It is figured to cost less than $2 per test and deliver quick results which is very popular due to time frame limits on real estate transactions. On the positive side, I have EPA documentation showing Eperms to be even more accurate than CRM’s (Continuos Radon Monitor), but, as Nick states, on the down side is the tampering issue. The self-made Eperm cage listed here is one way around that, or, I personally use a lockbox together with tamper resistant tape and the unit cannot be moved without detection. As far as covering it up! I also have a way around that I cannot mention here. As far as people venting or opening the structure to dissipate the radon, again, tamper resistant tape on doors and windows is the only deterrent. If you need more info, please feel free to contact me directly. Hope this helps. BW

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers

Thanks for the info guys I was hoping was a good product it’s the one I have leaning tword.