Radon Pops

Originally Posted By: tgardner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Gents,

This week has been cold in SW Virginia. Here is a pic I took of an active radon mitigation system. It seemed to be functioning properly, 1" of vacuum, but I can't help but think there should be a more efficient way of draining condensate at the exterior. What do you think? - tg

![](upload://rDOH8bk9Sh3f4WnHojK2uF3kEJa.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Tim,

What pic?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rwills

Tim,

What type of house is this? ranch, etc. and is that a vented soffitt in the pic. hard to tell in the photo?

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

It is a 4400 sf two story house with a full basement (90% finished).

It is a soffit & ridge vented house. The vents in the pic are from the master bath vents above the whirlpool bath and commode .

The mitigation system draws air from beneath the basement floor.

My concerns are:
1. the freezing of condensate drip on the exterior of the house, so close to the disconnect for the Heat Pump (heat pump cropped from picture).

2. Potential damage to the blower unit of this device by ice.

and
3. The excess moisture that is causing the mold and mildew growth at the soffit.

I am reporting it as a condition that could lead to structure damage, equipment damage and a poterntial electrical safety hazard.

Tim Gardner

Tadala tadala tadala. Update!

The radon mitigation co that installed the system pictured above came out and repaired the soffitt (Rotted), the fascia (rotted), the trim below the unit (rotted), piped the drain away from the structure and insulated and extended the stack betyond the eave.

For Free! even though the unit was over three years old.

regards, TG