Radon Tests

Yes it is, but it is also a very legit test to perform. Hey as inspectors we are limited to the amount of honest well worth the money ancillary services, might as well try to not leave money on the table. Heck I do a boat load of Radon testing.:wink:

Jim

The dumb *** put this in an email?

I would send it directly to the governing body that oversees Realtors.

What a dumb *** for writing that…

I don’t like them and refuse to use them when they are nothing more than than gimmick. Kinda like a used car salesmen trying to sell you a warranty.

I prefer to educate my clients about mold and Radon not force the issue for my personal gain.

IMHO of course

Hey I agree about educating the clients on radon., WDI, mold etc… Trust me I don’t strong arm or anything like that at all. I educate them and simply ask them if they would like the test, if they say no, which typically they do ask to do the test, but IF they say no, I simply say cool can I just get you to sign or initial this which just states I did inform you about radon. At that point, it’s either a quick signature or an OK lets just do it its only the cost of a dinner out… No strong arming here, not my style. Also unlike some of those other Gimmicks that some people sell Radon testing is a very important for obvious Health reasons.

Jim

mold-stop2.jpg

We agree to disagree james.

You are adding stress to the decision making and you already said it makes them change their mind some times.

OK I’ll agree to disagree…:cool: It helps them to see the light and realize the potential CANCER HEALTH RISKS involved in NOT doing the test.

No worries my friend as it will soon be a required test when a home transfers title anyway;).

Jim

I highly doubt it.

I live a high radon county where half the homes are above the mitigation level.

Few ask and fewer still are aware of Radon when I mention it.

Well that sucks for you then, here I get asked on average 7 out of 10 inspections for radon test, and then I have a Radon only sight that brings in 4-10 per week just stand alone radon tests. Then retests after some do mitigation. My radon biz here is doing quite well.

I get so many now that I even have given some away to a few other Local NACHI brothers here.:cool:

Jim

I love this business, like many others everyone has their own perspective on what the client needs and wants. None are necessarily right or wrong.
I was having a little issue here so decided to educate the realtor group that I work with.
Have held two classes on radon, mold and air testing and have out the EPA book on radon and went through the relevancy of understanding the risk. Since then the realtors have been my best sales force as many clients will ask me about the test and have already included it in their contingency OR just want the test to insure they install a mitigation system if its an issue. Now I’m offering yearly testing to some and it’s well received. As for a realtor who does not mention and then has an issue, well they can choose to not recommend me or not like me when I am hired without their recommendation. Either way the more RE I get educated, the more pressure on the few to educate their clients as well.
That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it …:slight_smile:

I sent all of my home inspection clients (many thousands) a pre-paid radon test kit every winter along with a cover letter and an invoice. 95% paid. The other 5%… I simply didn’t send them a kit following year. Made millions.

Right on George. I agree and I have been doing realtor educational meetings for many years. I always try to teach them about the importance of a Radon Test. Spread the word to all you can. It works.

Jim

The legal panel in Atlantic City that had the two best home inspection lawyers in the country said everyone should be having their clients sign the waiver if they neglect to have a radon inspection performed.

That is correct, hence my previous posts on that subject. It is always good to CYA, in my book I call it CJA (cover Jims As.s).

Jim

Let’s see.

Mold waiver

Radon waiver

Lead waiver.

Asbestos waiver.

Did I forget anything?

I think you forgot;

Coliform & Chloroform

I am sure I can come up with some others :wink:

Jim

Does a good waiter ask you if you’d like dessert?

Yeah. I don’t have a problem with making money for selling my clients services they need to protect their health.

All buyers already sign a lead disclosure form.

By the time a buyer is on an inspection, he/she is used to signing stuff.

InterNACHI’s waivers are soft sells, not hard sells. They start out acknowledging that your client doesn’t want the ancillary inspection. The clients sell themselves on it.

They sure do, as well as asking if you want a drink, or coffee or an appetizer…etc…

Jim