Railing heights

So i have a question not based upon a current inspection but upon a past home I sold during a short period were i tried real estate. YUCK!! The home had a loft but the loft was SHORT in height maybe 4-5’ tall at the peak. The railing in the loft was very short. How would you call this knowing if the railing was tall enough you would technically be in a loft with no chance of egress as the windows in the unit i sold were fixed.

At 4’-5” it’s not a room that can be occupied. A space that can be occupied shall have a ceiling height of 7’ or greater. Call it what you want, I call it a storage area or mezzanine.

3 Likes

Okay I see your point however if the railing is still short we than acceptable, it’s still a short railing, regardless of what the space is correct???

It is a defect, a potential safety/fall hazard. :nerd_face: :face_with_monocle:

[quote=“cnystul1, post:1, topic:182544”]
So i have a question not based upon a current inspection but upon a past home I sold during a short period were i tried real estate. YUCK!! The home had a loft but the loft was SHORT in height maybe 4-5’ tall at the peak. The railing in the loft was very short. How would you call this knowing if the railing was tall enough you would technically be in a loft with no chance of egress as the windows in the unit i sold were fixed. [/quote]

guardrails regardless of ceiling ht must meet minimums
as depicted those are deficient on numerous levels in my report