Rate my home inspection

Oh okay fair enough. Sewage discharge refers to where and what is done with rural homes sewage disposal. And surface drainage refers to how the grade of the home drains water. So that can be anything from the ground sloping away from the home or the quality of a swale.

1 Like

sewage

To me, this says - sewage disposal via surface discharge.

Sewage defined-: waste material (such as human urine and feces) that is carried away from homes and other buildings in a system of pipes.

You may want a new header or container titled “Site Drainage”
And then you would fill in - surface discharge

2 Likes

EXTERIOR
Section 1.
You recommend to ensure that all holes and penetrations are properly sealed Etc. Then you have 9 photos of random areas of the exterior that basically have nothing to do with your recommendation

1 Like

I could be wrong here, but I am going to assume that you are attempting to do on-site reporting. This report reeks of it. BAD IDEA for a newbie that hasn’t yet mastered inspecting. I’ve said this time and again that all inspectors should focus on learning the trade and doing reports at the office for a minimum of one year or 100 inspections BEFORE attempting on-site. Your clients are paying good money (hopefully) for a professional report of your observations. If you can’t provide that, you need to rethink this career move.

Just curious if your mentor doesn’t have the guts to tell you himself, or perhaps falls into the same category of subpar reports. I would be real curious to see one of his/her reports to judge the quality of what you are being exposed to. I’ve seen many a report from working inspectors that are crap, and they prolly shouldn’t be inspecting, let alone mentoring. Not saying he is an issue, but could be. It takes a hell of a lot more than being a member of Internachi or ASHI or other to be a capable inspector.

Just sayin’.

3 Likes

Steven, there are many qualified inspectors out there that have a sample inspection report on their site. Go looking for some sites of those that are respected on this forum and read their sample reports…and you can check out CMI sites via this link for the same thing:
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/members

2 Likes

Oof, all these page numbers, section numbers and item numbers. I honestly think most clients may be overwhelmed.

3 Likes

All 88 pages of them!!

2 Likes

Large reports are getting common with newbies, at least in my area. I’ve seen them over a 100 pages on a typical 2500 sq ft home, with 70 of them fluff.

5 Likes

I think there is a misconception that the inspector’s job is to inform the client of all aspects of home ownership. As an example, I have viewed some sample reports that discuss ways to clean gutters. Even young buyers have Google, they can find this information out on their own.

5 Likes

Including links to DIY videos, SMH.

Why not just pass these out?

Lol, I actually do hand those out when I remember. But mine aren’t customized. People seem to like it though. But I usually forget to give it to them, lol.

2 Likes

Something I always forget to do too. I am tempted to order the custom ones but I’m afraid I’ll just sit on them.

2 Likes

I did staple some cards to the first few. But now I don’t even do that.

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself. I just ordered 250 custom ones. Hopefully I’ll remember to give them out!

1 Like

I think it is a fine idea. The home does not come with a manual so why not?

But when it comes to a report, I serve only meat and potatoes.

2 Likes

I like that. I don’t ad fluff either.

2 Likes

Totally agree, when starting out, as I am too, the report pretty well takes just as long (if not longer) to complete than the inspection.

1 Like

My report today was 40 pages in pdf format. And this home had a higher than average amount of deficiencies. But wasn’t a sheet hole by any means.

2 Likes

I think that is a big challenge for newer inspectors, word economy. What is too little, what is too much? My reports get a little long sometimes in page count, but I use a lot of photos. But my summary (at the end) is to the point.

2 Likes

I agree, practice the KISS principal. - Keep It Simple Stupid