Rating Service Amperage


When you have service entrance cable rated for 100 amps, a main circuit panel rated for 100 amps, and 2 50 amp circuits, one range and one lighting, is the service rated at 100 amps or 50 amps? There was no main breaker.

Thanks, Steve

That would be a 100 amp panel, then. Common on the old fuse boxes. A range pullout, a lighting pullout that served 4 Edison based fuseholders below. That sort of panel typically also features subfeed lugs that are often doubled or tripled up.

Mark as usual is totaly correct, I know these as “mains and range” panels like the one pictured below





Very common in houses built in the 40’s and 50’s. Especially the double tapping of the sub feeds. Right on, Mark.