Ready to set sail and I need reassurance!

Hi everyone! 2021 will be my year to launch my HI business. Excited is an understatement. Nervous is also! I’ve got support from my family and they have been so helpful through this process.

But…

I consider myself cautious. I have learned about and researched many inspectors in my area. I’ll stay up and read reviews, how they present themselves, how they respond to reviews etc…

One thing I’ve noticed is a very common theme for “one star” on Google or a bad review is the client feels the inspector should’ve done more. Many of these negative reviews have a response from the inspector with a clear explanation as to why certain things are what they are. In my eyes, it’s obvious in many of these cases that the client feels the inspector should’ve been SuperMan with x-Ray vision. Many reviews are a year later stating issues with the home they felt they should’ve known. Many impossible to foresee.

My concern. It’s clear to me what is required, expected and should be done in an inspection. What I worry about, because I’m so damn cautious, is that no matter the response…it’s a negative review that sticks like glue on the inspector’s business. Am I overly nervous about this? I have confidence I can do an excellent job, I’m insured, I’m professional and I know I can do this…but I’m not super man! Do I tell myself that I’m not, and keep doing the best I can and come to peace with I can’t make everyone happy? I take such pride in my work, sometimes it’s a fault.

Just looking for some opinions from others that may have experienced unjustified negative feedback and a good old fashioned pat on the back that I’ll be ok!

Many thanks!!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Keven, Enjoy!! The forum has your back. :+1: :grinning: :

2 Likes

Welcome, Kevin! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do a good inspection and you won’t have to worry. Get a review first and than worry about the negative reviews.

Nothing is guaranteed, no participation trophy’s in this game. Best of luck to you getting started this year. Be humble and know that your competition has more experience. Somehow you will have to convince your clients you are the person for them.

4 Likes

Very good advice :beers:

1 Like

Best of luck to you Kevin!

1 Like

Inspector Crowley.
Call me I will make your life a lot easier doing any type of inspection. Wait till about 7…
I’m out fishing right now.

4 Likes

Do you have a contact number?

Hey Kevin,

It’s inevitable to get an unsatisfied person for the reasons you’ve listed. But as long as your ratio of 5 stars to 1 star is good, it won’t matter.

How you respond to the customer says more about how you operate to a prospective customer.

I have two 1-star reviews, both were out of the scope or out of our control, I responded to their comments quickly and politely.

I have several hundred 5-star reviews.

So my rating is now 4.9-stars… Good enough for me.

We went 4 years without a bad review, once you’ve gotten the first bad review out of the way, frankly it’s a relief.

As others have said, do good and you’ll be fine.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Welcome!!!

3 Likes

Manage your client’s expectation e.g. go over the SOP with them, etc.

6 Likes

Welcome Kevin

1 Like

What Larry said! Your number one job is to make sure your client clearly understands the limitations of your inspection. I used to spend quite a few min. going over the provisions of the agreement prior to the inspection. Saved my butt on many occasions!

Hope this helps
Cheers

4 Likes

For sure! I’ll spend the time to go over everything to be as clear as possible!

I would definitely do what Larry and Douglas said prior to the inspection. But if you get a bad review, it is way more important on how you respond to a bad review then that review itself. I wouldn’t fret too much over it though, your always going to run into a bad apple here and there.

2 Likes

Be confident with your client explain that your inspection is based on what you can observe at the time of inspection. Use a great agreement form and stay within the SOP’s you will do great.
My biggest complaints come from realtors that want to say my report was a deal breaker…I did my job well than!

1 Like

Here is InterNACHI’s new agreement that they spent lots of money perfecting. You may want to use this if your state does not mandate their own:

2 Likes

Anything can happen, but it all starts with you making sure you are comfortable with your client’s expectations and refusing to inspect truly questionable homes in shitty neighborhoods. Once the preliminary scope is clear if something does happen at least you have common ground on which to discuss, remedy or whatever it takes to deescalate issues which might arise. Don’t sweat the small stuff, in 15 years I have less than a handful of one-off reviews

3 Likes

Thank you Larry!

1 Like

The encouragement is very much appreciated :beers: