Reality check

At this link the claim is made that the course is CMI Approved School. http://kawartha.kijiji.ca/c-communit…QAdIdZ55256033

The only problem is that when you go to this link
http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/cmi/schools.htm

Sharondale is not listed.

I happen to agree that I think the market is more competitive than in the past but the thing each of us has to realize is that the home inspection industry is still quite an evolving industry. Furthermore, there are only certain areas that each of us are in control of in regards to each of are business’s/companies. For example, the market may become more and more competitive in the future and flood with tons of newbies but their is only so much market in each area it is up to you and your business efforts to control as much of that market share as possible. Also, most of these guys that are entering the biz thinking that they are going to take a 2 hour class and enter the market without a good amount of training, customer service skills and a business model will be weeded out as quickly as they entered. This industry will always in my opinion be closely linked with the housing market and RE offices/agents and great biz models and people skills, inspection skills, marketing plan, etc. will be the only way anyone in this industry will be sucessful in regards to monetary compensation. Each of us is in control of our own fate…even in a down market.

Rudolf,
Whether or not a home inspector can support a family / dog / mortgage is dependant on many factors such as market conditions, lifestyle choices, finanical status, place of habitat, etc.
The definition of success will vary greatly from person to person. I believe that if you live in Toronto, a family will need to earn at least NET 100k-120k to support today’s cost of living. That is why many full-time inspectors are branching out into other areas and there is nothing wrong with that.
Unless we all begin to earn what we are really worth ($600 + per inspection) then I suspect that more and more inspectors will diversify.

www.nachi.org/membership.htm