Realtor Chutzpah Award Nominee

Originally Posted By: rschuemann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ll try to keep this as terse as possible but I’m still fuming. Chalk up one agency I’ll never get a reference from, the Batmobile was in the driveway in all it’s glorious signage.

It was a bit after noon & I was almost done mowing my front yard. The house next door went up for sale yesterday. A Lincoln Nagivator pulls into the neighbor's driveway & out pops the listing agent.

This lady surveys the lawn at the same time I'm powering down the mower & heading toward my garage. She starts hollering at me to stop & approaches me complaining about the condition of the neighbor lawn. At this point all I can think is 'wtf is this lady's problem?' She's ranting on about how she's got some potential buyers arriving in 15 minutes to look at the place & the lawn is a mess. It took a bit to convey to her that if she didn't stfu & get off of my property I was going to call the Sherriff's Dept.

I can't describe the look on her face when she realized I wasn't some vagrant hired to do lawn care, who the heck showers, shaves & dresses up to do yard work? Although I must add that the long gray ponytail does add to the image but I'm half Native American & that's a whole 'nother issue. Apparrently she had been told that the same lawn service that did the other neighbor's lawn was supposed to do the mowing. Anyway, the look did not contain one shred of embarrassment.

Instead, she launches into some gibberish about could I please go inside or go away for an hour or so because her clients were very conservative, this was a slam dunk sale, I didn't convey a good look for the neighborhood, etc. I just put on my 'Dangerous Psycho' face & told her to get off my property!

Something inside me gets downright evil in these kind of situations. I went in the house, put on all my biker leathers, headed back to the garage & right after I started my Harley the buyers showed up in a pearl Caddilac Escalade. I rolled the Hog into the drive, hit the GD remote & made a show of retying my hair into an unruley ponytail. Popped on the brain-bucket, I just happened to have the tinted visor on it, & anonymously stared at the buyers. About my age, 50's, they were both in their Sunday go to meeting clothes. The man was obviously former military. I sat there looking at them as I revved the V-Twin a few times. Gimme a break, Harleys are notoriously cold blooded & need a few minutes to warmup. She did ask me to leave didn't she?

I had them, the woman had a look of paranoia, the man a look of righteous disgust & the agent a look of homicidal rage. I waited for them to get in the house before I rolled down my drive & as I passed the Escalade I blipped the throttle hard & sure enough the alarm went off.

It takes about 4 minutes to circle the neighborhood & as I was coming back around the prospective buyers were hurriedly leaving.

HAH!

I rolled into my drive as the listing agent ran into my drive screaming all sorts of obscenities in my direction. I pulled off my helmet & I just smiled at her. When she got to the part about sueing me I just happened to have one of my lawyer's cards handy, imagine that, & I handed it to her & said "I have nothing more to say, please communicate through my attorney." Parked the bike & closed the garage door.

Where the heck do these agents come from? Wouldn't have wanted to have those folks for neighbors anyway.

So let's see if anyone can top this one.

Let's have your nominations.

RS

p.s.; I have already fired off letters to the local board & the corp office of the agents affilliation.

Originally Posted By: away

That is just plain funny.

Since we are talking about less-than-intelligent realtors. Four years ago, my neighbor's house was up for sale. We had a real bad storm with high winds, hail, lot's of rain. The house is two story with a gable roof. The gable wall is sided with Hardi-Siding. The wind blew three huge pieces of siding off and the wind did a number on the felt paper below. So now their is nothing but OSB staring at me as I walk out of the garage. Picture an area about 15"-18" high and about 6' long.

Hmm, methinks that is not a good sign, and could certainly cause some consternation to a propective buyer when they see the water stains in the upstairs bedroom, bathroon, utility room, kitchen, breakfast area and possibly the dining room.

So being a good nieghbor and the friendly sort. I called the agent and told her what happened. Her response (make sure you read this with the most disinterested mindset possible) "Oh, I guess we will have our guys come out in the next week or so". ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

I told her it might be prudent to have them come out that day as we had about an 80% chance of rain forecast over the next 5 days and with nothing to protect the house.... Again there was quite a bit of hesitation and disinterest.

Since that didn't seem to be working, I threw out the "M" word and said how fast do you think that house will sell if those people come over and ask me if I know of any problems. Ahh, I finally hit the right button as it got real quiet on the other end of the phone. I was picturing her calculating the lost commission. Wrong! She started in on a tirade about blowing the deal and if I so much as said hello to anyone while she was there I would be in violation of so many laws my head would spin. Then she slammed the phone down. This was all before I was an HI so I really can't think of any laws I could be breaking by answering a simple question.

Called my old neighbors next. They contacted the relo company. Lo and behold that afternoon there were two guys there making repairs. Bad job though as they didn't replace the felt paper. I also wrote a letter to the broker and told him what happened. Got a snippy reply from him as well.

Oh well, can't win them all but sometimes rattling a cage or two when people are knuckleheads is just downright fun.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rschuemann

About an hour ago I received a call on the business line from the listing agent for the house next door. My business number is plastered all over the batmobile. He was at the curb & was wondering if I would give him a few minutes to tell my side of what happened & to apologize for yesterday’s ‘incident.’ I’d had a pretty decent night’s sleep & had mellowed since yesterday so I invited him in.

Seems he got some pretty abrasive phonecalls from both the prospective buyer & the screaming agent. THe said the madwoman was not part of his agency & he did concede that she did resemble his partner pictured on the sign so he understood how I could mistakenly think she was affilliated with him. Not sure I believed him on the mistaken identity thing. He was very thankful I had not gotten to the mailbox with my letters yet.

I took about 5 minutes to give my version of what happened & settled into a stoney silence. I never admitted that anything I did was deliberate. Let the grovelling begin! He went through how this woman had marital, medical, financial problems & had not made a sale in 4 months. I almost expected him to get on his knees he grovelled so well. After about 20 minutes I agreed to let byegones be byegones, acepted some dinner certificates, 2 movie passes (time to go see Wallace & Grommet) & he took some of my cards promising to put them in his inspectors referral packets. He assured me that he would make sure her superior would deal appropriately with her & that I would have no further trouble.

At least he had the sense to jump on the situation ASAP & smooth things over. An unfriendly neighbor can do lots to scuttle a sale & he knew it.

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Ron and Andrew, you guys are too funny !!! eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_clap.gif

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

rschuemann wrote:
acepted some dinner certificates, 2 movie passes (time to go see Wallace & Grommet).

Bet ya the next showing of the house will be is ... uhmm....what time is the movie starting. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jmurray

rschuemann wrote:
I'll try to keep this as terse as possible but I'm still fuming. Chalk up one agency I'll never get a reference from, the Batmobile was in the driveway in all it's glorious signage.

It was a bit after noon & I was almost done mowing my front yard. The house next door went up for sale yesterday. A Lincoln Nagivator pulls into the neighbor's driveway & out pops the listing agent.

This lady surveys the lawn at the same time I'm powering down the mower & heading toward my garage. She starts hollering at me to stop & approaches me complaining about the condition of the neighbor lawn. At this point all I can think is 'wtf is this lady's problem?' She's ranting on about how she's got some potential buyers arriving in 15 minutes to look at the place & the lawn is a mess. It took a bit to convey to her that if she didn't stfu & get off of my property I was going to call the Sherriff's Dept.

I can't describe the look on her face when she realized I wasn't some vagrant hired to do lawn care, who the heck showers, shaves & dresses up to do yard work? Although I must add that the long gray ponytail does add to the image but I'm half Native American & that's a whole 'nother issue. Apparrently she had been told that the same lawn service that did the other neighbor's lawn was supposed to do the mowing. Anyway, the look did not contain one shred of embarrassment.

Instead, she launches into some gibberish about could I please go inside or go away for an hour or so because her clients were very conservative, this was a slam dunk sale, I didn't convey a good look for the neighborhood, etc. I just put on my 'Dangerous Psycho' face & told her to get off my property!

Something inside me gets downright evil in these kind of situations. I went in the house, put on all my biker leathers, headed back to the garage & right after I started my Harley the buyers showed up in a pearl Caddilac Escalade. I rolled the Hog into the drive, hit the GD remote & made a show of retying my hair into an unruley ponytail. Popped on the brain-bucket, I just happened to have the tinted visor on it, & anonymously stared at the buyers. About my age, 50's, they were both in their Sunday go to meeting clothes. The man was obviously former military. I sat there looking at them as I revved the V-Twin a few times. Gimme a break, Harleys are notoriously cold blooded & need a few minutes to warmup. She did ask me to leave didn't she?

I had them, the woman had a look of paranoia, the man a look of righteous disgust & the agent a look of homicidal rage. I waited for them to get in the house before I rolled down my drive & as I passed the Escalade I blipped the throttle hard & sure enough the alarm went off.

It takes about 4 minutes to circle the neighborhood & as I was coming back around the prospective buyers were hurriedly leaving.

HAH!

I rolled into my drive as the listing agent ran into my drive screaming all sorts of obscenities in my direction. I pulled off my helmet & I just smiled at her. When she got to the part about sueing me I just happened to have one of my lawyer's cards handy, imagine that, & I handed it to her & said "I have nothing more to say, please communicate through my attorney." Parked the bike & closed the garage door.

Where the heck do these agents come from? Wouldn't have wanted to have those folks for neighbors anyway.

So let's see if anyone can top this one.

Let's have your nominations.

RS

p.s.; I have already fired off letters to the local board & the corp office of the agents affilliation.

Ron, Give them hell! ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: gporter

I bet you will be called to inspect it. nachi_sarcasm.gif

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com