Recall for some Garmin GPS devices

Mine is OK… Roy

Health Canada reports of a recall involving the battery in certain Garmin nüvi models of GPS devices. The battery can overheat, posing a fire hazard.

http://www.healthandsafetywatch.com/images/eventimages/consumerproducts/4105.jpg

See Product Details tab for specifics on the affected items.

There have been 9 reports of the battery overheating in the United States.

Recalled Garmin nüvi have been sold at various retailers across Canada, including Best Buy and Wal-Mart stores from October 2007 to August 2010.

Corrective Action:
Consumers should immediately examine their Garmin nüvi GPS device for the model and serial number (on back or bottom label). If the device has one of the affected model numbers, consumers should stop using the device and visit the nüvi battery recall website or contact Garmin for further instructions.

I wonder if the batteries were made by sony. The same problem happened with laptops a few years ago who’s batteries were made by sony.

I have a Nuvi not on the recall list but it has some problems, No voice for navagation and the bluethooth has stopped working and it’s less than a year old. Have tried contacting Garmin by both phone and e-mail with no reply and message on phone 30 35 min. wait next rep to answer.

I bought my Nuvi rebuilt on Ebay 4 years ago and until a couple months ago it has been perfect. An update would fix my gremlins but for $75 I will put it towards a new one.

Thanks for the notice Roy, This is my model of GPS, But it is not on the recall list.

I just bought one of these (refurbished) from Tiger Direct and it seems to work fine.