recep gnd

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a flush mount metal box properly sized. The NM cable feeding it has the bare equipment gnd wire attached directly to the box itself. The gnd is properly attached at the main panel.

The receptacle is a duplex. When you remove the plastic cover plate, you notice that there is no pigtail from the ground screw on the box to the gnd screw on the receptacle. Ah ha!! The ground is not hooked up!!

When would this be acceptable?
Would it ever be acceptable?

OK Heavyweights, give us common folk some answering room here!

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Hi Jeff,

Are you testing us again?!

Yes / No

(be receptacle or switch it is refered to as a device)

You should connect the ground wire directly to the device, but it is not necessary under certain conditions.

The only condition I know is the device must be rated for self grounding. This is ussually easy to idetify by the words stamped on the device or a metal spring clip on one of the mounting screws that makes a possitive mechanical connection from the device ground to the screw and continued to the "Metal Box". Needlewss to say this does nopt function on a plastic box. It use to be the mounting screw was green also but that is not always the case.

Okay now I'm curious...is it registasrd and to what amprage..../

I'm currently on hold with Levington Devices?

The answer is; Yes, The grounding clip on the mounting screw is an approved UL listed means of mechanical ground. No amp limitation, no direct wiring required.

This was a quote from the Code department at Levington Products.

Wow,
To much thought...
Bob p.

Bob p.

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jeff

You "might" make a good ESI. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

NO. I know you would make a "GREAT" ESI.

You have what appears to be an "average" eye. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: tgardner

During a Home inspection, why would you remove the cover plate?

tg

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

because you saw scorching around the outlet… icon_razz.gif