Receptacle readings

Wiggy use - for the un-initiated.

8 Likes

Nice one @rkenney !

I love Robert’s replies, straightforward no-nonsense solutions and helpful to others for understand test instruments. He would have made the Fluke and Ideal reps I used to deal with proud.

2 Likes

Assuming ‘Harry Homeowner’ hasn’t been “making upgrades/flipping activities” and breached important connections!

1 Like

That’s only half the answer!

Only for idiots. :wink:

As an inspector carry a backup to verify results in case of false readings. This will prevent problems. If i am reporting an issue it is best to double check and verify. CYA

What kind is this?

https://www.amazon.com/Knopp-K-60-Cat-Number-14460/dp/B003A7T5KG

1 Like

Use this. Green light, good light.

Simple, visual

Not technically exhaustive.

1 Like

Jeffrey got it - Knopp K60

1 Like

What’s the make and model?

Sperry Instruments VD7504GFI DualCheck 2-in-1 Non-Contact Voltage Detector + GFCI Outlet Circuit Analyzer, 360° Visual & Audible Indicators, 50-1000V AC

Hello Mark -
(I love the name - it commands respect. :face_with_monocle:)
Other than the possibility that you have a sh*tload of open ground receptacles - you may have a failing tester. Although the cheaper testers are more prone to failure (cuz they simple fall apart), all testers can eventually fail.
Going forward with more info than you needed -
Here’s what I do (and so do many other HIs)…
I always carry 2 testers on my tool belt. These I check (or “calibrate?”) often.
When I come upon an open-ground or H/N reverse, etc, - I always plug both testers together into the same receptacle, and take a photo for the report. Then I plug both testers together into a good receptacle at the same house/building and take a photo for the report file. This will head-off any BS from the homeowner or “their sister-in-law’s brother’s friend that used to be on a bowling team with an electrician”.
Rock on.

Buy a Wiggy®️. It’s the only tester you need.

Numerous times after using one the 3-prong testers for a few years it would fail by reading “open ground”. It’s funny that is how they always seem to fail the same way but as others have said, they are cheaply made.

A solenoid tester is far superior to those plug-in testers and most of the digital testers that are designed to separate a fool from his money. Reliably testing electrical systems almost always requires putting a small load on the system. Plug-in testers and digital testers are notorious for their high input impedance. The higher the input impedance, the more likely a tester will give false indications and the more likely that an untrained person will misinterpret readings.

A cheap $10 Radio Shack VOM with a d’Arsonval movement would be better for most purposes than any of the high input impedance stuff. If I could only own one tester though, it would unquestionably be a genuine Wiggy.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yep, same here, George.

1 Like