Receptacles in Walk in Closets

Recommend to your client the apparent danger in a clothes closet. If it is for boots and storage you still have a problem. If it is for the security alarm that will be already set up so not an issue.

What just what is the “apparent danger”? It’s not apparent to me at all.

There is no “problem” with it, Juan.

While home inspectors are hired to give their “opinion” on systems/components of a residence, our opinions should have the backing of model codes, rather than being based on our own personal fears or misguided assumptions.

Just yesterday I found a fridge jamb the cord and it was busted right at the plug. Same thing can happen in a closet and with more damaging results. I also mention not to put boxes in the closet against an outside wall.
Like I said time and time on this board do what you want.
But please don’t preach no CODE.

A damaged cord can occur anywhere. That’s not a house wiring issue, about which you are paid to provide a professional opinion.

P.S. Did you recommend removal of the refrigerator outlet and warn against their use because of the “apparent danger” you observed?

I don’t “preach” code (I don’t “preach” anything for that matter), but I attempt to make recommendations based on model codes and/or factual information, rather than speculation, conjecture and anecdotal fallacies.

There is no real-world basis to “warn” against receptacles in a closet, other than one’s own sanctimonious posturing in wanting others to believe you’re an authority and speaking with years of experience.

And those transformers operate at excessive temperatures and their outer casings discolor from excessive heat.

I have measured some transformer temperatures in excess of 240°F. “Chill pill” medication should only be taken after consultation with your doctor! :wink:

The use of double negatives in a sentence cancels each other out so your statement would say, “But please preach code”

It is the codes that give the Home Inspector a basis to do an inspection. It is opinion that gives the profession a bad name. HI said this is unsafe but a licensed person says different and adds a few choice words concerning the lack of knowledge of the HI.

A good example of this would be a three wire duplex receptacle that is GFCI protected that shows an open ground and the HI makes the statement that it would be safer with an equipment grounding conductor. I always ask a simple question that has never been answered yet, “where is this grounding conductor coming from?” If we rewire to include the equipment grounding conductor then the GFCI is not needed unless it is in an area that requires one. See how silly that comment is?

And I will say the same thing. It has nothing to do with the ground it has to do with the testing. I will not change my info.

Then I will say it again;

Your “reason” is based on lack of knowledge, misinformation and inexperience. To “not change your info,” means you are ok with spreading false and misleading information.

You are one to talk Jeffrey! Might I remind you about the FPE and Zinsko thread.

I don’t want to sound like I am changing anyone’s mind on this MB so here is what it is like in Ontario.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21185960-Outlet-in-closet

Sure Kevin, remind me. I stand solidly behind every statement I made, including this one.

Apparently a lot of confusion in Ontario.

In order to change someones mind I would use something better than something being discussed on a web site.

Preach some code material and you might change minds.

My dear Kevin, for you to go against the Pope, I have lost all Hope. :slight_smile:

Sounds like lots of well versed people on there giving out their experiences and almost nothing based on code citations/

Ban all receptacle over polyester based carpet too.

Find it in the CODE!

You should write the KEVIN Code book. :roll::roll: