Red & Black

I heard something interesting from a fairly reliable source.
When a black and red wire are next to each other in a panel, they should be tied together at all times. Why would this be?

I inspected a house today with excessive amounts of red and black wires neighboring each other.

Is this a joke? Are you going to post the punchline soon?

Dylan, I’m glad you at least prefaced this with the words “fairly reliable”. :mrgreen:

At all times? No, not under all circumstances, and only under the 2008 NEC.

From January 2007 IEC Insights magazine. www.ieci.org

It’s to ensure the red wire doesn’t try and run off with that trampy little neutral wire from down the panel. You know, the one with all the mini-skirts and the midriff baring tops.

Don’t forget the tramp stamp “small of the back” tatoo. :mrgreen:

Perhaps what your reliable source was referring to is if you have a red and black from the same cable it is usually good to have them on the same 2 pole breaker. (one on each side) since this is probably a 240 v or multiwire 120v circuit

The key here is “fairly” reliable. Sometimes I think he just likes ot start debates.

Thank you though.

Never assume that a 3 wire cable is for a 240 volt circuit. Most of the time they are just easier to run than seperate cables.

The 2008 NEC article posted does not apply to the postersd question, their is no issue of the " Red and Black" being a ungrounded and grounded pairing in this question by the original poster.

Now I agree totally with the concept of210.4(D) and its revision or addition as it will simply attempt to make the use of a multiwire circuit safer but alas the “Reliable” source was incorrect.