Red ground

Originally Posted By: Rafael
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it possible for a owner or whomever to use a red wire as a sustitute for a ground or neutral.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/100_1256crop.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: tallen

Needs to be identified as a a ground.

Call a sparky.

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Rafael,

Of course it is possible...but does not make it right.

My standard comment for this is:
REPAIR: Improper wiring color code in panel. Red wire used at neutral bus bar. Have corrected.

You should know that I have a statement at the top of my electrical page that reads:

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE:
All electrical repairs listed in this section of the report should be considered as Important Safety items as they present risk of fire or shock. In many cases, these items should receive high priority for action. Only Licensed Electricians should be considered when making electrical repairs.

Bottom line...what Todd said..call sparky!

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: rmoore

I think I’d go with something like…

Investigate Further and Repair: A red wre is connected to the gorunding/neutral bar. This is incorrect unless the wire is permanently identified as a ground or neutral. The larger problem is that this is a sure sign of amateur alterations to the electrical system and I strongly recommend that a licensed electrician fully evaluate the circuit wiring and make the necessary repairs.

BTW...nasty burnt neutral...and what is that cable across the front of the panel?

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Rafael

thanks guys , i appreciate it. that is a cable wire going across the panel.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

If you really want to apply the NEC here it is very unlikely this red wire can be re-identified green or white.

If this red conductor is being used as the grounded conductor this section applies.

Quote:
200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.
(A) Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller.

An insulated grounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by a continuous white or gray outer finish or by three continuous white stripes on other than green insulation along its entire length. Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or gray color but have colored tracer threads in the braid identifying the source of manufacture shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section. Insulated grounded conductors shall also be permitted to be identified as follows:

(1)The grounded conductor of a mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive marking at its terminations.

(2)A single-conductor, sunlight-resistant, outdoor-rated cable used as a grounded conductor in photovoltaic power systems as permitted by 690.31 shall be identified at the time of installation by distinctive white marking at all terminations.

(3)Fixture wire shall comply with the requirements for grounded conductor identification as specified in 402.8

(4)For aerial cable, the identification shall be as above, or by means of a ridge located on the exterior of the cable so as to identify it.

So in a nutshell in this size it has to be white or striped white it's entire length unless it is MI Cable, part of a photovoltaic power system, fixture wire or aerial cable.

It is not any of those.

Now if it is being used as a grounding conductor this section applies.

Quote:
250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors.
Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section.

Again in this size the marking is required to be continuous.

There is an exception for cables like NM "Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation" however that can not really be applied to a home. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

In other words this red conductor has got to go.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: bbadger

By the way.

I am not suggesting anyone cite code sections, I am only showing you the codes for your own information.

I liked this sort of reporting. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Quote:
The larger problem is that this is a sure sign of amateur alterations to the electrical system and I strongly recommend that a licensed electrician fully evaluate the circuit wiring and make the necessary repairs

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN