Regarding the idea of capping membership...

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Regarding the idea of capping membership and issuing every member in good standing one membership slot that he/she could sell when he/she leaves the industry (much like Liquour licenses, franchises, and country clubs do)… a NYSE seat just sold for 2.9 million icon_eek.gif .

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: whandley

I think NACHI is becoming the ICC, International Code Council of the inspection industry. NACHI should continue to strive on being the industry standard. It should continue to educate, inform, enlighten and be available to everyone around the globe. It’s membership should be available to any one who meets the qualification and entrance fee requirements. The ICC is constantly growing, adding partnership organizations, forming industry alliances and working with government agencies around the world. All of this to better the general publics health and safety with regard to building standards. NACHI should also protect the general publics interests through inspection industry standards of the highest quality, professionalism and integrity. I believe most of us join ICC, ICBO, CABO, NACHI, NAHI, ASHI, CREIA, etc. to help us become better inspectors. Being a better inspector makes me more valuable to my clients. It allows me to grow my annual income and increase the value of my company icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Nick,

For these slots to ever have monetary value, would not the cap have to be permanent? The discussion that I have been reading seems centered upon a temporary cap until the necessary administrative infrastructure has been put into place.

Is it your feeling that such a cap be permanent?

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Are there any “NOT FOR PROFIT” organizations where memberships in said organizations are worth thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars?

If inspectors can't join a quality inspection organization like NACHI, won't they simply be forced to join CREIA or ASHI. Would it not benefit them to get their act together and begin to duplicate NACHI. Couldn't they form Inter-ASHI or Inter-REIA and also begin to grow their organization around the globe. Wouldn't NACHI be forcing these other inspectors to join other organizations, for their own survival?

I believe there are approximately 1.4 million realtors domestically. All of them are members of NAR, National Association of Realtors and or their individual state memberships. NAR sets the standards on how realtors conduct their day to day business. It is one of the most prominent trade organizations in the United States. They don't have a cap on membership.

![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

very good post.

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’.” -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Quote:

To Perform optimally, all functions of the business must be functioning at or near capacity.

A decrease in sales should not be met with a decrease in processing. Whatever the problem may be, address the problem and rectify the situation to meet projections and expectations.

Capping of the current Membership due to growth equates to recognition of a problem / situation and a failure to address the problem to rectify. If a situation can not be corrected at the present level of Membership, it can not be corrected at a reduced level of Membership.

Resources need to be focused on weaknesses with remedies applied before creating new initiatives.

If the current Management of NACHI lacks the capability and expertise to bring about the required changes to meet the goals and expectations, it may be time to move NACHI to the next level.

Business is as Business does.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Sounds like a great idea if you can make the active date 12-21-2004.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

What does nach bfd mean?

“Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’.” -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Whoever said what Joe is quoting, I agree.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Well said Joseph;

In 1995/96 I was the President of the Laguna Beach Boys and Girls Club. A group of 18 were the Board of Directors. We had monthly meetings and would come up with all sorts of things we wanted the club to pursue. Our Executive Director, the paid employee who ran the club, would bring us back to earth and mention that to pursue our ideas would create a need for additional staff, materials and of course funding. We decided to gradually increase staff size and funding commensurate with our club goals and activities. The current membership of the Boys and Girls Club are the actual owners, the club is set up in a Trust for which the Board of Directors is responsible. The Directors, including President are all volunteers and receive no compensation. The Board of Directors interview, higher and supervise the Executive Director. The Executive Director is responsible for all staffing issues with oversight from the Board of Directors.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

gromicko wrote:
Regarding the idea of capping membership and issuing every member in good standing one membership slot that he/she could sell when he/she leaves the industry (much like Liquour licenses, franchises, and country clubs do)... a NYSE seat just sold for 2.9 million ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) .

Sounds Like the Organization we have In Ontario.
It is not officially capped but those in power seem to manage to keep the membership at just over 200.
This looks to me to be working very well for those who are on the inside.
They get a lot of money from students and Associate members numbers about 500 plus. .
Many of the Directors teach these want to be inspectors and I have been told some
Directors make more money from teaching then they do from Home inspections.
They also sell many packages to those who are wondering about becoming Home Inspectors.
No one has been able to get a proper answer where the money goes.
They frequently do not answer letters from the membership.
NACHI is growing well and is helping out many new and existing inspectors
So I expect membership in the old association will be worth very little.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

rcooke wrote:
gromicko wrote:
Regarding the idea of capping membership and issuing every member in good standing one membership slot that he/she could sell when he/she leaves the industry (much like Liquour licenses, franchises, and country clubs do)... a NYSE seat just sold for 2.9 million ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) .

It is not officially capped but those in power seem to manage to keep the membership at just over 200.
They get a lot of money from students and Associate members numbers about 500 plus. .
Many of the Directors teach these want to be inspectors and I have been told some
They also sell many packages to those who are wondering about becoming Home Inspectors.

That's right Roy.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: rwand1

Quote:

Yes I would have to agree with the above.

We don't need to cap the membership. Cultivate new members. Capping membership limits growth of new ideas, and cultivates a culture of closed mindedness.

We all know how one self regulating body regulates itself, lets not become carbon copies.

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

, REALmatcher taking over the entire REALTOR Multi-List system by May and auto sending NACHI member’s info directly to REALTORs and home buyers looking for homes in areas NACHI members serve, expanding into all these ancillary inspections: Commercial, Energy Loss, Lead, Log Homes, Mold, New Construction, Pre-Listing Inspections, Radon, Septic, Stucco/EIFS, Water Quality, Wood Destroying Insects/Organisms http://www.nachi.org/ancillary-services.htm , sister sites in other languages, Tech talking about adding another 15 billion webpages to our existing 621,355,764 pages, etc… this all coupled with our existing stream of member products/services we keep launching every day… we’re talking about an association of millions of affiliates, and many tens of thousands of inspectors performing potentially hundreds of thousands of different inspections a day!.. by sometime next year.

Hey...I'm up for it if you are. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

You Go Boss!

As a member of a not for profit organization like NACHI. We outsiders are at a disadvantage. We of course don't see the financials and or have day to day input on the operation of the organization. The general membership doesn't know if we're capable of staff increases and or compensation. We trust in the experts in charge. I've only been a member for one year, but so far I'm behind you all the way. I normally assume however that program start up costs are more favorable when cost factored over, let's say a larger membership revenue stream. For example: if a NACHI computer program or system were designed to benefit a current membership of 7,000 it would be less expensive if a membership of 11,000 were paying for it. Won't our corporate and professional affiliates be thrilled that they can market there products and services to a membership of 11,000 as opposed to a 7,000 (Capped) target audience.

In either case, I like the NACHI thing so far.. Great people, instant communication and interaction, unbelievable information resources and
an inspection industry bench mark standard that far exceeds the competition. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m reading all the various threads on this message board. It doesn’t seem like there is any support for tapping the brakes on NACHI. I’ve always been committed to turning this industry upside down and soon we’ll have these real estate agents asking us who the potential buyers and sellers are. They’ll be coming to you for leads, not you to them. Real estate is the world’s biggest industry and we inspect it.

So it is official then... I'm pulling out all the stops. Let's take it all.

I'm going to take a couple days off and rest up. When I come back I want you all to join me in conquering the world.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I think we need to define what we as a organization want, where we see ourselves headed. We don’t necessarily need all these enticements. We need a constitution, a by-law, a way to solicit the membership in real time to see the direction we need to go. There needs to be a major survey done of Nachi members. When I tried to do a major survey in another National Assoc. in Canada, it was shot down because some did not like the questions. We shouldn’t be afraid to deal with realities.

One note above Nick; I really don't like the idea of giving Realtors any type of affiliation membership, but that is just my opinion. Non profit associations should not be seen to be close to a profession that works hand in hand with inspectors. We already have one Association up here in Ontario that regularly holds its regional association meetings in the local Realestate Board offices. Of course they pay for the space, but it is a percieved conflict and appears to be a beholding to someone. Not a good image in my opinion.

Keep up the good works!

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

featured four new television commercials this year and four new radio spots, as well as new customizable print ads, posters and Web banners for state and local associations to use. Commercials included NAR?s first-ever Spanish-language television ad. The new spot, which closely resembles the English-language version, featured Hispanic Americans sharing their hopes, dreams and stories about trying to achieve the American dream of homeownership.

RISMedia welcomes your questions and comments. Send your e-mail to: editorial@rismedia.com.

The article seemed fiting to post here. It took them 25 million to get more exposure and they have been established for years. I am not saying it can't be done, but I am interested to see the planing and time frames of this.

--
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

Yes a big lobby group with big bucks to spend on PR. They put their own spin on it and present it in the best light possible.

I fail to see let alone understand why the Realtors need Nachi's help in any aspect.

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
NACHI Member

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

jhagarty wrote:
Quote:

To Perform optimally, all functions of the business must be functioning at or near capacity.

A decrease in sales should not be met with a decrease in processing. Whatever the problem may be, address the problem and rectify the situation to meet projections and expectations.

Capping of the current Membership due to growth equates to recognition of a problem / situation and a failure to address the problem to rectify. If a situation can not be corrected at the present level of Membership, it can not be corrected at a reduced level of Membership.

Resources need to be focused on weaknesses with remedies applied before creating new initiatives.

If the current Management of NACHI lacks the capability and expertise to bring about the required changes to meet the goals and expectations, it may be time to move NACHI to the next level.

Business is as Business does.

BUMP - Obviously worth repeating!

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn