Release form for buyer to follow inspector on site

hello, where can I find the form for the buyer to sign to release me from liability. This particular buyer wants to walk the roof during inspection

Good luck on that Angela.
No one is ever allowed on my ladder for any reason, including rooftop access.
Somehow he needs to realize if he wants that, bring your own ladder.
The rest is up to the buyer & seller.

10 Likes

Don’t touch it Angela! You do your job and the buyer has nothing to with walking a roof with you. You and only you are insured to do this. The seller shouldn’t even allow it without the individual having specific insurance to do so.

6 Likes

yes he is bringing his own ladder and is very persistent, so I remember there was a agreement. but the way he acting Im about to just walk away

4 Likes

Walk away if he persist. Your job, not his.

3 Likes

Thanks, for the advice

1 Like

Than is a wise choice, Angela.

“I think you would be happier with another inspector…or, I am booked out for 3 weeks and calls keep coming in.”

4 Likes

Simply explain he needs the owner’s permission, not yours.

2 Likes

@bhull1 maybe can chime in. He’s is our roof walking “expert” and probably has come across this scenario before. Bert? Bueller? Bueller?

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies, basically told client they are not walking with us due to liability. if they are not happy with it they can find another inspector

5 Likes

Dom, in all due respect, I don’t want anyone on a roof with me during an inspection that I have no clue of their ability or worked a roof with them before.

2 Likes

If he is insistent, have him add an addendum to the contract where the seller agrees to it, and that he will repair any damage he causes.
Also that he will hold harmless the seller in the event he is injured or injures anyone else.
That should deter him…at has for me when such requests have been made…

1 Like

yes, I remember seeing a form provided by InterNACHI that releases liability , but due to the headache its probably better to just walk away

In my opinion, it isn’t wise to “walk away” every time a situation comes up which may not be ideal.
I prefer to find a way to work around the issue at hand.

I have worked for attorneys, which many here advise against.
I have had sellers who wanted me to sign a release. No problem.
And, countless other scenarios.

You never know who your client is…or…who they may refer you to in the future.
That one attorney, that told me several other inspectors “were either too busy or didn’t work with attorneys”, has referred me to several other attorneys as well as clients.
Just my 2 cents worth…

I’ll race you to the ridge. If you beat me, the inspection is free. :sweat_smile: :running_man:

7 Likes

Seriously, good call Angela. I would not feel comfortable with a client on the roof. I’m busy paying attention to inspecting the roof and I think it would be distracting and maybe dangerous to add untrained people to the area. I’m not wanting to allow that situation to get out of control. I take lots of pictures that we can discuss on the ground.

2 Likes

This is the kinda thing that if nothing happens then nothing happens… On the other hand if this buyer were to fall, then it wouldn’t matter whose form was signed or what proper permission was obtained prior to the inspection lawyers will be suing anyone with a policy or assets to attach, count on it. At least make sure that you are getting paid to accept the risks as you see it. Real PITA possibilities.

5 Likes

Tell him to work it out with the seller and you’ll reduce your fee for him inspecting the roof instead of you. And leave your ladder in the truck.

2 Likes

Exactly, and instructing them to “get their own ladder” can be construed as you giving them permission to join you on the roof if they can get up there.
This is a bad deal all around. Make it well documented, including in your Agreement, that nobody is allowed to join you on the roof, and if they do, it is without your consent and of their own accord and risk/liability!

2 Likes

Let the buyer know in very exacting terms that if he wishes to walk the roof he should make an appointment with the seller and do it by himself. I would never let a buyer up on the roof with me or on my ladder, no more than I would let him stick his hands in an open electrical panel. When things go south you will get sued and the release wont keep you out of court. There are currently lawsuits in my area from buyers slipping on floors and becoming injured while wearing ‘booties’. So while it may all seem simple enough its not when someone becomes injured.

2 Likes