Repeal or Not, When Egos Rule the Answer is Academic

First thing’s that’s gotta happen is to either eliminate contractor licensing, or eliminate the ability for contractors to have a different path to obtaining a HI license then what currently exists.

In another thread, our friend MM extoles the virtues of the mighty contractor, and puts them in the same classification as a doctor or lawyer. Get real.

He fails to acknowledge that a majority of defects observed by inspectors are not the result of Harry the Homeowner, but of the crappy work performed by bad contractors at the expense of their clients.

Contractors are far from special. They are far from perfect. Florida has a long history of bad craftsmanship. This is one of the reasons for high insurance prices and wind mit inspections.

None of this was caused by the home inspection industry.

And contractor’s licenses are allegedly hard to get. I think that every HI should be automatically be able to obtain a contractors license. Fair is fair, right?

I say to pull the contractor licensing, because with all the safeguards, no one is safe from a bad contractor.

Repeal, repeal, repeal…

Bla Bla bla. go pester someone else you don’t bother me. Why don’t you go visit everyone else who is up bruces a-s.

I know the qualifications one must undergo to be a Florida Licensed General Contractor and it is sure a hell of a lot more than being a member of an online org and taking a 1/2 hr proctored exam.

Not sure I could agree. Most defects observed are from unlicensed “contractors” and harry homeowner.

Not saying there are not some crappy contractors out there but you just cant make a blanket statement like that.

I have also worked on contruction projects where the home inspector missed 10’s of thousands of dollars worth of defects that my 5 year old could have picked up on. Does that mean all inspectors are crappy because of one inspector?

Contractors License

Repeal, Repeal, Repeal…

I don’t care how many licensees you have, the construction industry will never hold the public trust as that which is held by home inspectors.

In the eye of the public home inspectors occupy a very lofty perch which will never be attained by general contractors who by & large are looked upon in a way similar to used car salesmen. If it weren’t for the licensed trades performing so badly home inspectors would be out of a job.

Not everyone who now holds a home inspector license is cut out to be a vessel of public trust, those who aren’t will most likely need to find another profession.

Well said Preston

Egos aside, let’s face facts… The following is the only reason were still discussing this contractor/inspector thingy.

New-Home Construction Plunges In February

The Commerce Department says home construction plunged to a seasonally adjusted 479,000 homes last month, down 22.5 percent from the previous month. It was the lowest level since April 2009 and the second-lowest on records dating back more than a half-century.

It certainly explains the motivation of the Florida conspector who is anxious to sell out the home inspection profession for the short term for a short term gain…while he waits for the opportunity to return to his “real job”.

aaa ha ha ha ha aaa ha haa ha:roll:

Fine with me. All licensing does is cost us all time and money.

What a crock of ****…
So you would like to have your house built by a HI or a migrant worker? You think that a Contractor does little more then oversee the Trades? Now you are showing your ignorance. Anyone that thinks that knows nothing of the process.
Sure, their are crappy contractors out there — But there are crappy drivers out there also, so why not do away with the requirement to have a drivers license as well? ----Then we can have the deaf and blind on the streets along with the existing nut cases.

Hence the need for licensing.

As long as the public view licensing as a path to legitimacy, Home inspectors are at an unfair disadvantage.

It shouldn’t affect long term inspectors now but in the future with the right marketing campaign, conspectors will rule the Florida home inspection industry.

I guess that is the goal…Sorry it’s my conspiracy part of my brain kicking in.

yep he is ignorant for sure.

Many here seem to think a HI would make a good G.C.

The fact is any G.C. in Florida could pass the HI exam and meet the qualifications to become a HI. Not many HI’s could meet the requirements to become a G.C. Yes there are some but most do NOT have the required work experience that sets G.C.'s apart from the rest.

MEEKER here is a great logo, you can use it to repeal!! Inspecting the world from your behind with your head stuck up your butty.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTam4e8NQLbhVXx-qsbLM3nNWTrXbBRMbYAB4B3jqFPutBj1Axn3w

**Repeal, repeal the Meeker way!!!

Under the current law…a very large number of licensed Florida home inspectors have yet, and are not qualified, to ever inspect a house. The point that they also might not qualify to be general contractors is moot and irrelevant.

Joe,
I agree with the first part that GC’s in general do not hold the public trust — I had to sue a client once that withheld the final draw on his new home for no reason other than knowing that he could settle for 30 cents on the dollar. My Contract was air tight and precluded that he had violated just about everthing that he had agreed to in it. However, my attorney still asked me what i wanted to do. Exasperated i proclaimed “go and get my friggin money from this guy” — His response was “So you want to go before a jury and think you will win because you are in the right?” He went on to explain that every jurer will be biased against me for no other reason then their own personal experiences with a contractor - be it a plumber, builder, a/c repairman or otherwise. I settle out of court for $.25/dollar –

I don’t agree with the part that HI’s would be out of work if it were not for licensed trades performing so badly. Inspectors inspect structures that have been altered and repaired by homeowners and unlicensed individuals as well as contractors. They also inspect buildings and components of buildings that are nearing the end of their useful life. Codes and building technology has changed over the years, and inspectors inspect for deficiencies and obsolete building material such as polybuteleyne and aluminum branch wiring to name a few.

I have found over my years in FL that we have some very fine home builders and contractors in every field. We also have some who are less than adequate, and some that are just plain crooks. Most of the issues I find on home inspections come from; 1. Neglect. 2. Harry Homeowner 3. Contractors working outside of their license (like a pool heating contractor working in the service equipment and either installing an off brand breaker or double tapping, etc.) 4. Handymen posing as contractors, or 5. Poor workmanship from a true licensed contractor.

Issues 1 and 2 can be found in any state and probably any country. Issue 3 happens everywhere, and issues 4 and 5 aren’t solved by anything, licensing or not.

I have yet to find a contractor that doesn’t think he’s the best thing since sliced bread, nor have I found the same inspector as is evidenced on this bb on a continuing basis.

The one thing that contractor licensing does solve is provide an avenue for the consumer to complain and may cause suspension of the contractor license. The loophole is that the contractor can simply reform his company under another name after going out of buisness.

Repeal or don’t repeal, who cares. There will still be homes to inspect, and we will all have to compete for our part of the business regardless of how many there are in the field. Those who can adapt will survive, and those who cant…:wink: The lowballers just seem to leave more rapidly.

Not true if he loses his license.

Sorry. I’ve seen it happen here, and I know the company.

I agree with the conspiracy theory 100% but its not the contractor, please also look at the Realtor boards. I am telling you now and look for yourself at how the Realtor boards are WORRIED about this law. Why? Where were they when it came to decide on grandfathering? Where were they when it was decided on the qualifications? Not in sight, but now that its a law, they will use it against us.

Keep the law, kneel to the contractor and Realtor…for those who have no business to speak of, the license is a validation they know something to the unsuspected home owner. They want to brag about the license, laminate it, wear it…the prerequisits to get that is a total embarrassment and I will continue to email people, shout it, use any advertising means to show what a embarrassment it was to get this license and how it actually HURTS the general public because of the perceive qualification one need to obtain it.

have fun with the license and using it as a qualification…I will try to make EVERYONE aware what it took to get the license or what it DIDN’T TAKE to be clearer…