Report filing systems

Originally Posted By: croust
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a numbering and filing system for inspection reports? I am starting out and need a system badly! icon_sad.gif

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I assign a number to the report and it’s filed that way, with the date on the exterior of the folder with the number. My first inspection number was #00100. icon_lol.gif Gives me plenty of room, and my first poor client wouldn’t see this 00001.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I use the date and first 3 letters of the address.

Ex. 123 Main Street inspected today would be "102404MAI".

By Illinois law, I have to keep a log in chronological order of my inspections. This just makes it easier to put them in order if they ever ask!

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

croust wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a numbering and filing system for inspection reports? I am starting out and need a system badly! ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

I've used two methods. Both worked great.

First uses the date. Today would be MMDDYY then add a letter for each inspection done that day. First for the day is 102404A Second for the day is 102404B. This is what I am using now.

The second method uses the date and a number which increases on each report. MMYY### This keeps them by month, year and the number increases till the end of the month.

Both of these keep the number of reports u have done from clients eyes. This is good when u change file systems or are starting out.

Rob Z.

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

croust wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a numbering and filing system for inspection reports? I am starting out and need a system badly! ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Our system included two ways. Because we used a computer driven report system an ID number was given but each hard copy also was labelled with the address and client's name. It required a little more writing but it gave me all the info I needed quickly. Across the top of each folder would look something like this:

124 Main St. Ref no: 03040001 (03-yr, 04-month, 0001-inspect #)
Burnaby (city/town)
Tom Singer (Client)

The computer use an auto numbering system to avoid duplicate numbers.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

I use the date then I include

A for am

B for mid day

C for afternoon

Example 102404C would be a report from 10/24 done in the afternoon.

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: croust

Thanks for the great suggestions. How do you handle numbering of reinspections for other home inspectors who are on vacation? Do you count them as regular inspections or keep them separate? Thanks again!

Chris Roust
Roust Property Inspections LLC
Juneau, Alaska

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

I use Year, Month and then the Inspection number

For Example:

September 2004 Inspections are numbered.

This method makes filing relatively easy keeping everything in sequence.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Mine (as it turns out) is the same as our NACHI member numbers.

10/24/04 = 041024 then the inspection # of 01, 02 or 03 (maximum of 3 per day) so my third inspection would be 04102403.

Very simple for pulling reports for certain days when the client calls and says "I think the inspection was in the middle of July this year."

I'll pull 04071001 through 04072003.

If they tell me it was September 21, 2004 I pull 04092101, 04092102 and 04092103.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I used to use the same method as Joe. Year is first two digits, then month, then chronological order starting at oo1. Now I just use a box.

Just kidding. Sorta. I attach my scheduling sheets to the front of my file copy and file by month/day. Then I use a box after the end of the year.