Report on general condition of house

Originally Posted By: bsmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have always tried to not comment on the general condition of the house in my reports (Ex- The overall condition of the house is satisfactory for it’s age). I prefer to let to report speak for itself and let them draw their own conclusions, but more and more clients are asking for an overall opinion. How many of you include general condition statements?

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I don’t formally write an opinion like that in the report but I would give such an opinion verbally at the end of the inspection.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rlind

I agree with all of you.

I do not write the overall condition of the house in my report, but I do verbalize some areas of teh inspection.

On my last inspection, I mentioned to the home owner that this was the first properly functioning self-closing fire rated entry door from the garage to house that I have found in the past 5 inspections.

The homeowner replied "That's nice, but I don't like the door closing on me. I might get locked out of the house!" ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

Once I educated her on why these doors need to be self-closing, she understood the value much more clearly.

Education of the Homeowner - is that not one of our most satisfying functions??

Ron Lind

Solid Foundation Home Inspections, LLC

Originally Posted By: jpeck

An overall condition statement could be used to offset anything specific you put in your report, negating the information you actually tried to relay to your client.

All that does is give the agent the ability to say "See, this sentence right here says "It's all basically okay.'"

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: bsmith

All good replies, Thanks guys.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: cradan

of the Summary section of the report, regarding the type of care the home appears to have received:

"The home appears to have received

-below average maintenance
-average maintenance
-better-than-average maintenance

over the years. However, you'll wish to be advised of the following conditions..."

The assessment of the home's maintenance received is clearly a subjective opinion, and is based only on our own firm's experience having inspected X number of similar homes.

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections