report time period

Just wondering if your customer asks how long your inspection report is valid for what do you offer for an answer?

My report is valid indefinately, but the information contained within the report was valid only for the few hours that the inspection occurred.

“The report is valid forever as a description of the house on the day of the inspection. The conditions the report describes can change before the inspection is finished. In fact, the purpose of the report and the inspection is to take valid problems and fix them, thus making them no longer valid.”

I would only change what JJ said by saying the info in the report is also valid forever because, just like a photo, it’s a snapshot in time.

I say something like…

“I guarantee things in this house will wear down, deteriorate and need maintenance and repair. I also guarantee I can’t predict when any of that will happen in any one system.”

They always chuckle and say “Of course, it’s a house” or “Oh yes, I know what you mean”.

No, those aren’t my exact words. Ever hear of the word “paraphrase”? I’m sure everyone reading this understood what I was saying, and if they are interested in using it, will rephrase using their own words anyway. That’s the way we roll around here.

Tim asked a simple question, I offered a simple answer. Short and sweet. Dissertation not required.

It’s great Nathan.

I relate these type circumstances to my car…
I had my Vette in for Inspection a few years back…

After Tires, Brakes, Oil Change and some general repairs…
the Bill
Topped over $2500…
as I was driving off the lot…
The passenger window
fell into the door…
the nylon strap on the window motor failed…(another $600 repair)
Is the mechanic at fault for this???
obviously NO…

But…

How is it…
that Attorneys
have educated HomeBuyers into Believing that Home Inspectors are Responsible for similar type mechanical failures…??

:slight_smile:

When I get these type claims…
Not my interest to …
arbitrate…
mediate…
mitigate…

But rather Educate
Attorneys…

that they are sometimes wrong…
and mislead their clients…

into having unrealistic expectations…

:slight_smile: