Report writing by others........

Someone should rename this thread for what it is. Attack Wendy.

If someone wants to let Wendy or anyone else write/assemble/etc. a report based on their collected data and comments it is still THEIR report.

What possible business is that of yours?

The Owner of the report bares the resonsibiliy as it is provided by his/here company and under his/her name.

GOYA and go do some marketing.

In many threads over the past few years on this board the average time to conduct an Inspection has been discussed many times, it seems to be in the 3 to 4 hour range, with some providing the report onsite and others the next day or a few hours later, in most of the discussions the Inspection itself took around 3 hours, 6 a day = 18 hours plus travel time and faxing or emailing the “Inspection Notes” to the “writer”, I do believe someone is blowing smoke again.

Just where was Wendy “Attacked” Michael? Ben started this thread with a reasonable question and his personal opinion, others responded, Wendy joined in, where has she been attacked?

She made the claim that “ONE” of the Inspectiors she writes reports for does 5 or 6 Inspections a day and that she transcribes the Inspectors notes “Word for Word”. I questioned the accuracy of that, 6 Inspections a day? If she is writing that many reports each day, and each, as she claimed, take hours to write, how is it that she finds time to spend so much time here on the Message Board.

If someone wants to use her service, or the service of any other Vendor who posts and attempts to sell their product on this board, then let them, but just because she is “Wendy”, doesn’t meen that she shouldn’t face the same criticism and questioning that any other Vendor has faced by NACHI Members, she herself is very quick to criticise other vendors and often calls their attempts to drum up business here “SPAM”.

The question was would YOU pay someone else to write your reports? A simple question, which anyone has the right to answer any way they want, a business decision, just like having or not having E&O, a Thermal Camera, doing Mold/Radon Inspections, etc.

Ms Forsyth has chosen to become a Vendor, which she already was at one time, she’s just one of way too many on this Message Board, one who wants to drum up business on a public board, but not disclose her qualifications to provide the sevice she advertises, that in itself would, and has, drawn “attacks” on other Vendors who have done the same.

In those cases, no. Considering that Wendy is on the message board day and night, and, from all indications, is not a multi-inspector firm, I might question her experience. That would be due diligence on my part. The owner of a multi-inspector firm has the privilege of sending inspectors out and staying in the office himself. I used to stay in the office simply so that I could do those emergency inspections. The latest one was a couple of months ago. They called at 10:00 a.m. and wanted an inspection at 1:00 p.m. since they were leaving for Europe at 7:00 p.m. for two weeks. I liked doing those because it made a great impression on people.

Sure wish I had said that. :cool:

Can I repeat it though? Presuming the answer is yes:

GOYA and go do some marketing.

In all fairness, he could be a multi-inspector firm. However, if he were, I would wonder why his employees were not writing their own reports.

I used to schedule any one inspector for no more than three inspections a day because then they had to write their section of the report for three inspections. I used to schedule inspections at 0500, 0800, 1100, 1400, 1700, and 2000, not year round (winter got dark too early), but those were my standard inspection times. I did not deviate from them. If someone called wanting a 10:00 inspection, I simply told them that 11:00 was my closest time, to which they usually readily agreed.

Well said.

I wasn’t asking about Wendy specifically, would you send your reports to say a College Student or recent graduate with a Degree in English who had no experience in Home Inspection or Home Construction? This thread didn’t start out about Ms Forsyth, she, once again, has attempted to make it all about her.

Having some one write reports in a multi-inspection firm where everyone is inspecting to the same standard and using the same procedures is different from hiring an outsider to write the report. In my opinion if an inspector can write notes or complete a checklist or what ever, complete and accurate enough for someone thousands of miles away to write his report, then he doesn’t really need that person to write it at all.

Husband and wife teams are different too. Especially when both of them have been together on many inspections and understand what each says in their notes/checklist/etc. A friend of mine used to perform 3 Inspections a day and his wife did the reports using INspectVue and then Home Gauge, she also did the Inspection booking and scheduling along with delivering hard copy reports when requested, He sadly and unexpectedly died, now she is one of the best Inspectors in the area, but now she writes her own reports.

If I were to get so busy that I did not have time to Inspect and write my own reports, I’d hire another Inspector or at least someone familiar with Home Construction who would have to accompany me on several inspections, at least, before I would have them write any report, and then I would review every report they wrote. Others may chose to something different, that’s why most of us are one man “shops”, we make our own decisions, and still we don’t always get along with the “boss”.

Wendy…if you were anyone else, you would be lauded for “thinking outside the box”.

Regardless of your level of experience and skill, if you are able to find a market for your services and have people willing to pay you for them, more power to you. Good luck.

Bingo!

Probably not.

See post #21: http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17166&page=2

I totally agree. Oooooops. Hold on. I think the Big One is occurring right here, right now, in San Diego. :mrgreen:

I do, however, wonder why the same sentiments are not expressed to all here who might find a market for services or products and people willing to pay for them. Hmmmmmmm. A little prejudice, perhaps?

It would require someone with experience in inspecting, and probably face to face training for a while. Experience would be the greater of the two, which leaves you and Wendy out. Sorry James. :wink:

A vendor has stepped forward to offer report writing for “newer inspectors” . I believe the thread and conversation is very worthy of being here for those “newer inspectors” who might consider the offer of services. Its not about Wendy, its about the service, and the background and experience of the person who is offering the service. Which in this case is Wendy.

Actually not at all.

I’m not on this board except somewhat during the hours you are. I’m gone most of the day. Sometimes like now, I check in.

I NEVER said I wouldn’t give my credentials. Read the thread again. I said the clients who were interested, please email me and I would give them to them. I won’t post them publically because of this kind of public flogging.

Also, Lewis keeps saying I’ve never done an inspection. Then he says I do “special inspections”. Which is it Lewis? Hmmmm? He can’t seem to make up his mind?

I have plenty of experience thank you. Book experience, actual college training for the WSDA test, and physical experience. Plus months of experience writing reports.

As to this inspector doing 5-6 inspections a day, yes it is possible. He may have 2-3 actual inspections and then 2-3 draw inspections in a day. He’s a workaholic and that’s why he has one or more report writers, so he can work this many hours in a day. Many days he’d be on the internet with me at one o’clock his time fixing reports.

So **** off Lewis and Russel. I really don’t care what you think any more.

You sure do lie alot Russel.

In another recent thread, you said that you wrote the reports for all your inspectors because you didn’t trust them to write them properly. :roll:

Analyzing whether or not experience was needed would require a clue. Which leaves you out.

Sorry.

Oh, duh…it was THIS thread that you said you wrote the reports! So you contradicted yourself all in the same thread! Hilarious! LOL! You can’t even tell the truth all in the same thread!:mrgreen:

That should bring in the clients, months of experience.

Annnnnnnnnnddddddd…you didn’t start somewhere eh? You were just insta-expert eh?

I’ve been in the biz since I joined NACHI in Feb.2006. I’ve been working on my education since then, my training, doing inspections, special or not, writing reports, and so forth. Yet everybody continues to harass me as if it’s still day one.

Well, have at it, have your school boy, school yard fun. Someday hopefully you’ll grow up. Btw, you didn’t edit. Nice.