reporting

Originally Posted By: rmoewe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jpope wrote:
Eventually I will progress to Porter Valley. I'm just not looking forward to customizing another program. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Jeff, It does not take that long to customize PV. I have been using it for 2 years and don't have it that customized. The default settings work great. You do have to add a few narratives, but that is the case in all of them. They are very CA friendly also.
It takes me about 30-60 mins a report, depends on how many things that you find. I will be buying a tablet PC soon. I hope to cut most of the report writing to the field.

Originally Posted By: Guest

bwiley wrote:
Just remember that most of your buyers will only read the summary page. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

For that reason I don't offer a summary page. The client hired knowledge, by not offering a summary I make sure they get the full value from the service they paid for.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Chad,

I see your point. But would you really expect a client to read something like the Carson Dunlop Home Referance ( 2 inches thick of material) before the inspection clause deadline ![aiwebs_013.gif](upload://x5eoIGESh5NJL8oh5jpyuY1MoEy.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I do a summary report because I’m afraid they’ll miss the forest while wandering through the trees. I urge them to read the full report 3 or 4 times, but I can’t make them do it. This is one of those “personal preference” areas.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I’m new to this business, but already dread doing my reports…sometimes as long as 3 1/2 hours eusa_wall.gif

My dogs are starting to learn not to play around in my office when I'm at the computer cause I fly off the handle too quick cause I'm frustrated it's taking so long to do a report...3/day inspections???? No friggen way!
I would guess between drivetime/inspection/report it takes me a good 8 hours.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rsummers

I would say that my typical inspection takes between 4-6 hours depending on age and if there is a crawl space or its slab on grade. I have never traveled more than 50 miles to get to a inspection and if I go that far I raise my price to cover fuel and time. How many Inspectors hire some one to write the reports for them after performing the inspection?

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Kevin,

You should have heard the yelling in my office after my last inspection.

3/4 done with the report when Micro#$%! Word decides its a good time to crash.

Nothing like starting over from scratch!

Originally Posted By: darthur

I switched over from Report Host to Palm-Tech Inspector with Palm-Tech Picture Album and use it with my handheld/portable printer and am able to generate my report within 30 Minutes after the actual on-site inspection. I would highly recommend it. Also, if there are multiple inspectors they have another program called Front Office which tracks and manages users VIA bluetooth technology. icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Palm Tech is cool (and the easiest to learn). But you must spend a great deal of time creating a library of statments/comments.

Erol

Originally Posted By: waksell

Interesting discution. I’ve only done 4 practice [freebee] inspections for friends, and I’m horified at how long it takes to do a report. 3,4,5 hours. My instructor told the class that he did onsight reporting with a laptop and printer in about 30 minutes, so this is how I thought the business was done. I’ve been practising, memorizing, trying to be more comfortable with my report program, so I don’t make an absolute fool of myself on my first job. I need to work, but I’m afraid to solicite realtors in fear of building a bad reputation befor I get started. Any advice and encoragement would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Wesley,

Please don’t take this totally the wrong way, but one of the first things you need to do is to make sure whatever reporting software you have, has a spell checker. There is one sure-fire way to show yourself as not very credible, and that is to misspell. You had approx 7 spelling errors in your last post.

Try the report writing forum also. Russel is pretty good at helping people out with their report writing.

(he is a bit longwinded at times for my own tastes, but he’s very helpful icon_wink.gif )

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: waksell

Thanks Kevin, no offence taken. I normally do a spellcheck, but on my last post I got lazy. Good advise I will remember.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Wesley,

One of the things I did to keep from making an a$% of myself was to do no marketing in my area at all.

I went out about 30 or 40 miles away when I started my marketing and did my first several inspections in that area. Figured if I was going to make an a$% of myself, I'd do it outside my own nest.

Fortunately, I didn't.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: troberts1

Wesley,

I am fairly new at this also, I tell my clients that they will receive their report within 24 hours. I book an inspection one morning and one afternoon inspection every other day, on the days that I am not in the field I am doing the reports for the day before. This has worked good for me I can do 6 inspections a week if I work it hard I have done three a day and can do fifteen a week but that is pushing it for me. Six a week is just a perfect pace for me right now, I do not take on more work than I can handle. promises not kept are a sure fire way to make a bad reputation for myself. this works well for me, just a suggestion. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: mbartels

I recommend for the first year using a GOOD check list that has room for comments or doing the reports back at the office within 24 hrs.

Suggestion #2

To everyone out there taking 20 pics, WHY?

If I check that the toilet in the master bath is leaking, why do they need a pic of a piss pot? Take pics of roof defects, attics, and crawls if needed.

IMHO If it is self explanatory to the lay person, it does not get a pic. This saves time, ink, etc.

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground