Request for comment on idea.

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

An event that is being worked out by the NACHI Chciago Chapter and we would like to see how much interest there is. Any comments are welcome.

We get a great number of requests from newly licensed Illinois Home Inspectors to go an ride alongs. They say that they need experience and would like to see how things are done before they hang out their own shingle. I have taken quite a few along, as have other membrs of NACHI Chicago.

What about a mock inspection? Kind of like a haunted house, but with more punch.

1) 20 -25 newly licensed inspectors sign up. They each pay a nominal fee ($10 ?, $20 for non-NACHI).

2) They get access to a fully functional, occupied house that has certain common (and some uncommon and hidden) flaws. They go through the house and do their own inspections, using their own methods.

3) After the inspection, they provide the NACHI Chicago Board of Review with a full inspection report, just like they would give to their clients. Narrative or checklist, on-site or later. The only requirement is that the report be submitted and in hand to NACHI Chicago within the 48 hours after the inspection that the state law requires.

4) Each report is reviewed and critiqued. They are evaluated against the known condition of the house and commented on. Advice is returned to the participants on how to improve their reports, not only with regards to accuracy, but also form, verbiage and legal requirements and adherance to the NACHI SOP.

How much inyterest would there be. The event would probably be taking place within the next few weeks and would probably be on a week end day.

We have the house and the cooperation of its owners and all liability issues are covered.

Thoughts?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

Will - GREAT idea!

One of the "benefits" that I thought sounded great (but turned out to be a pipe dream) was the NACHI HOuse of Horrors training facility. Yours sounds like a GREAT way for newbies to get a few inspections under their belt with the direct supervision of experienced inspectors.

I have always wondered why chapters couldn't pull this kind of thing together with more regularity (inspect one or two of the Members homes each month - reports reviewed at the monthly meetings). I guess it is kind of invasive for people to open their homes, but I would certainly be willing to open mine for this kind of experiment.

I think the problem may be that it won;t get newbies to 100 inspections as fast as they would like, but it sure beats nothing!

I'll be interested to see what the response is like.

Originally Posted By: away

Will,

That sounds like a great idea. Nothing like actual hands on education.

Reading and classroom instruction are all well and good, but nothing beats trying, failing and receiving feedback to really learn. Say what you will about apprenticeships and some problems that can occur, but when those apprentices, who were really taught their craft, went out on their own, they knew exactly what they needed to do and how to do it.

The report feedback would really be great for new inspectors as well. Especially when accompanied with "here is what problem x looks like" type information should someone miss something.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

Maybe this is still in the works as well.

http://www.nachi.org/houseofhorrors.htm

Nick?

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Will, great idea, I know that Joe Myers has done similar things in the past in PA, I know members would love to do it.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Will,

See http://www.nachi.org/reportreview.htm

Originally Posted By: tallen

Maybe this is still in the works as well.

http://www.nachi.org/houseofhorrors.htm

Nick?

Anyone?

I always thought this was a great idea and since will brought up something similar, I thought I would ask.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks for the feedback.

The things that I think will make this different is that:

1) The house is ctually occupied. The participants will have to deal with 'real world' conditions, i.e. Seller's Present, debris, furniture, pets, etc.
2) This house has been completely gone over by many different inspectors who have found ALL the defects, big and small. We even had the electrical gone over by the chief instructor of the local IBEW electrical school. He ginned up some 'Defects' (things that will test out as defects or look like defects in the panel, but are not really) to really test these guys out.
3) The report feedback is also good. Whether you are newly licensed or have been doing the job for 5 years, it never hurts to get feedback. You are never to old and experienced to stop learning.

Again, Thanks;

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: jjackson

Would like to see one here in Pa.

jj

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Will

Sounds like a great idea. $20 seems a little on the low side.....so a good deal for those involved.

Curtis

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: rcooke

ccoombs wrote:
Will

Sounds like a great idea. $20 seems a little on the low side.....so a good deal for those involved.

Curtis

I attended one 7 years ago and it was great .
After the inspection we all sat down and marked out own report .
Every inspector missed some thing some one else found.
Many where very experienced inspectors .
Mine was part of a two day course and I paid I think $200:00 or more maybe $250:00 and felt it was worth every penny.
Just doing a one day with going over the reports together Hall cost for 20 plus people you should look for (MY OPINION) minimum $100:00 each. You will find expenses you never even thought about and you have to make some for all the time you will be putting into this .
Good luck and those who take the course with you will be the big winners.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Roy;

We (NACHI Chicago) will be using the money received to build up our Chapter's coffers. We hope to use the money (not completely worked out yet by the officers, board and membership) for 2 things. 1) More education, better that that usually presented in our area (really easy) and cheaper (for NACHI members) and 2) high profile advertising of NACHI (major newspapers' billboards and maybe a few radio commercials).

A rising tide floats all boats.

Thanks for the input. You, all, have been a freat help.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076