Residentail Electrical Fixture Weight Limts

Originally Posted By: Kevin Blackwell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have search to find the answer for residential electrical fixture weight limits such as chandeliers,ceiling fans were would this code be located NEC,IRC,CABO?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Do you carry a scale on your inspections? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Kevin,

Don't think you will find any.

That is because you are probably (based on your post) looking for the wrong thing.

The code will address the maximum weight allowed on a ceiling light fixture box and a ceiling fan box, but not the ceiling light fixture or ceiling fan itself.

This is because the ceiling light fixture or ceiling fan may be supported independently of the junction box it is mounted through.

One good example of this is the lift mounted lights, which can be lowered electrically to be cleaned or have lamps changed (such as one can find in large, multi-mil homes). These are supported from a motor driven winch device which can lower the fixture, then raise the fixture. The only limitation is the rating on the powered lift, and then you'd only need a higher rated lift for a heavier fixture.

Instead of addressing this in the code, this would be addressed with proper engineering of the trusses or structure supporting the heavy fixture or fan.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Here is the answer you asked for:

Quote:
314.27(B) Maximum Luminaire (Fixture) Weight. Outlet boxes or fittings installed as required by 314.23 shall be permitted to support luminaires (lighting fixtures) weighing 23 kg (50 lb) or less.

A luminaire (lighting fixture) that weighs more than 23 kg (50 lb) shall be supported independently of the outlet box unless the outlet box is listed for the weight to be supported.

Quote:
410.16 Means of Support.
(A) Outlet Boxes. Outlet boxes or fittings installed as required by 314.23 shall be permitted to support luminaires (fixtures).

Quote:
422.18 Support of Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans.

(A) Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans 16 kg (35 lb) or Less. Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that do not exceed 16 kg (35 lb) in weight, with or without accessories, shall be permitted to be supported by outlet boxes identified for such use and supported in accordance with 314.23 and 314.27.

(B) Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans Exceeding 16 kg (35 lb). Ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans exceeding 16 kg (35 lb) in weight, with or without accessories, shall be supported independently of the outlet box. See 314.23.

Exception: Listed outlet boxes or outlet box systems that are identified for the purpose shall be permitted to support ceiling-suspended fans, with or without accessories, that weigh 32 kg (70 lb) or less.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jtedesco wrote:
Here is the answer you asked for:

Joe T.,

That only addresses the maximum allowed weight when supported by a junction box, not the maximum weight allowed when supported independently of the junction box. That would come down to a structural engineer and the design of the trusses ceiling joists / rafters and any webs between them to transfer load from point A to point B.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

jpeck

The original question was not very clear. I chose to provide an answer that was directed to the "electrical"question he asked as I saw it.

The submitter also emailed me and thanked me very much for taking the time to give him this information wanting to know where I found it.

He also indicated that he posted the question on the structural forum here too.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Did you guys see the new exception for less than (I think) 6lb that allows a 6/32 thread instead of an 8/32 thread? (314)

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: Dave Nix

Hi Mike,

Quote:
2002 NEC 314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached.
Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire (fixture) weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire (fixture) or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

I am glad they have added this exception with all of the popular sconce style luminaires we find installed. The thing to remember is this doesn't apply to ceiling fixtures!

--
Dave Nix
Electrical Matters