Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course for Students

This thread on the InterNACHI® Inspection Community Forum is dedicated exclusively to the students who are currently enrolled in the Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course. This course is a requirement for becoming an InterNACHI® Certified Professional Inspector CPI®. This course is offered by the only home inspector college at www.internachi.edu.

Students are free to ask any question or make any comment related to the course. A student may start or join the conversation right here.

If a student needs help with their education, email the Education Team at education@internachi.org.

This thread is monitored according to the Guidelines.

I just received an email from a student with a good question about gas-fired water heating tanks in garages. The student’s question was, “fvir water heaters dont need to be raised 18 inches? is this correct?”

The answer is inside this course at InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

About to begin

2 Likes

Great to hear, @wryder. If you need anything related to your education, feel free to reach out to the Education Team at education@internachi.org. We just updated Section 5.9.2 Located in Garages and FVIR. Check it out. Section G2408.2 of the IRC for gas-fired appliances reiterates the requirement for elevation above the garage floor, but has an exception to allow gas-fired appliances having flammable ignition vapor resistant (FVIR) design to be installed without elevating the unit.

Jumping in. Looking to get through this in 2 days. We will see how busy the week starts out.

1 Like

Lots of great information in this plumbing course, @rpettit2. Lots of videos too. If you need anything, email your Education Team at education@internachi.org.

Should pressure reducing valves be installed before or after the water meter? I thought I saw something in the material about this but now I can’t find it.

I had a realtor tell me that water heaters in tight closets such at the outside closet for water heaters in manufactured homes do not need earthquake straps. Is this correct?

Hi, @ltyler. I recommend referring to P2801.8 Water heater seismic bracing at https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IRCComm2021P1/chapter-28-water-heaters#IRCComm2021P1_Pt07_Ch28_SecP2801.8. The specific geographical areas of the different seismic design categories might be available by a local building code resource and/or the appliance manufacturer’s recommendations.

Good Afternoon I will be starting this course. looking forward to learning

1 Like

This course was great! Very beneficial.

Im starting the course. Im not sure how many days it will take but Im looking forward to the information.

I’m on the section: 4.6 Consumption & Distribution Flow Rates
There are two separate charts, one for maximum flow rate, and the other for “Water distribution to fixtures […] the following table of fixtures and flow rates under certain flow pressure.” Off the bat, I’m confused. What’s the difference between flow rate out of a faucet, and fixture flow rate under certain flow pressure? Then the confusion compounds: Chart one has “Lavatory”: 2.2gpm, and then it has “sink” 2.2gpm. Why the double line? Then in the second chart, it has “Lavatory (bath sink)” 0.8gpm, and another line for “sink” 1.75gpm. If internachi asks on a quiz “What should the water flow rate be for a sink”? I’m going to slap something. haha Ben! common man - this is confusing as all get out. I guess you are distinguishing between bathroom sinks, and say a laundry room sink. They can have separate flow rates? But I still don’t understand the difference between lavatory 2.2 gpm max rate, and lavatory 0.8gpm rate of flow.

I’m very exited about the home inspector, this course is excellent.