Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course

The information in 5.10 CONFINED SPACE AND COMBUSTION AIR is completely foreign to me and the text is confusing. I sure wish I had a tutor to help me understand.

Never mind…

[May 14] Never mind…

Ready to go… very excited :slight_smile:

recruitment consultants

ready to give plumbing a shot

Ready to go

Thank you, ready to go

Hey. Cream colored sounds like deteriorated by sun. CVPC is general grey. Best, Darcy

I have to disagree with a section 5 quiz T/F question. It states that “A fuel shutoff valve is required on all electric water heaters”. I didn’t think electric heaters required a fuel. I don’t consider electricity a fuel so I selected “False”. It was deemed incorrect. Please explain further.

I’m in agreement with Jan S. Markham. I have the same question. Could you please explain further.

I’ve edited the quiz question and I’ve added the question to the final exam. Should be good to go now.

here we go!

one more down

6.14.1 Solvent-Cement Joint
This section states that solvent-cement joints between ABS and PVC are prohibited.

If Solvent-Cement joints between ABS and PVC are prohibited, how are they to be connected?

I am not a plumber but have installed drain and supply piping in a residential home(my own) as well as a few others. Also as mentioned throughout these courses there are some differences in jurisdictions regarding code etc. What may have been acceptable for us in Windsor Ontario may not be acceptable elsewhere.

It is correct that you cannot bond ABS to PVC using either ABS solvent-cement or PVC solvent-cement but I’ve purchased and used ABS to PVC Transition Solvent-Cement and used it successfully. This of course doesn’t mean it is correct to use it. I certainly didn’t check with local authorities with regards to use. It may also be difficult for an inspector to distinguish between the Transition Cement(white colour) and PVC Cement(I think is grey). The cement used for ABS is yellow.

There is one point where ABS and PVC must be joined together and that is where the waste line exits the house and connects to the municipal sewer line. This will of course be outside of the inspectors capability since the connection should take place outside within four feet from the home and under ground. I couldn’t tell you what the code is but I do know that it is recommended that the ABS line exits the home to connect to the PVC rather than the PVC entering the home to connect to the ABS. This is because ABS is more rigid than PVC.

So for the purpose of the home inspection it is correct that you shouldn’t see ABS connected to PVC because that connection typically takes place outside the home and underground.

This is a great question, and we had a bit of a discussion about it on this one particular thread, started by Gregory A. Liebig](InterNACHI®️ Forum), that you’ll find very informative: http://www.nachi.org/forum/f22/mixing-abs-and-pvc-drain-fittings-70618/#post892843

hoping to learn something new

Just to be sure, can furnaces be attached to fuel gas vents such as those described in the plumbing overview section 14.12?

Yes. Natural gas or liquid propane, Category I, and draft hood-equipped appliances, and appliances tested and listed to use Type B or BW gas vent pipes. For example: natural gas fireplaces, gas-fired furnaces, boilers, water heaters, and wall or space heating applications. Otherwise, we’re talking about a different Category of appliance and the venting is made of PVC pipes.

plumbing time

Preparing to take the “residential plumbing overview.”