Residential Standards of Practice Course

Looking forward to getting started on this course and will be posting questions if/when needed.

Thank you will use this forum if needed.

Ready to start!!!

Ready to go!

Thanks for the forum, however, I would probably have more to comment /question if it were mandatory at the end of the course versus the beginning.

1 Like

Good simple review.

Nice.

Intrduction to the Standard Practice, not HVAC.

intro

Hi Nick

Lets go.

starting sop now

Thank you. Ready set go.

Thanks.Ready for SOP

here I go Again

OK, Thank you

In section 3.7 Electrical, it states the following:

I. The inspector shall inspect:
H. a representative number of switches, lighting fixtures and receptacles, including receptacles observed and deemed to be arc-fault circuit interrupter or AFCI-protected using the AFCI test button, where possible;

I. and test all ground-fault circuit interrupter receptacles and circuit breakers observed and deemed to be GFCIs using a GFCI tester, where possible;

Later on it states:

“Operating breakers or removing fuses is also not recommended, as this can disrupt operation of the homeowner’s electronic devices, including clocks, alarm systems or computer equipment.”

I believe “H” and “I” conflict with the latter recommendation. Using the test button on AFCI and GFCI breakers opens the circuit and disrupts power to the homeowner’s electronic devices…correct?

Hi, Waylon.

As an inspector, I followed the SOP and explained what that meant to both the buyer and seller (or occupant) of the property. Which includes opening and closing things, turning things off and on, and testing GFCI and AFCIs. I tried to be mindful and courteous as much as possible when doing these activities, required by the SOP, made disruptions.

We’ve got some nice flyers that help explain what you do during an inspection at our InspectorOutlet. Check out one at Custom Flyers – Inspector Outlet

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the flyers.

Starting.