Residential Structural Design for Home Inspectors

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The picture attached shows a light frame house that failed due to seismic forces.
Even thought there are many procedures and concepts proven to be some how accurate for structure design, nature teach us that we are not that technologically advance in order to design and build indestructible houses. Same happens with masonry built houses.

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read the article named “Earthquake Preparedness Inspection” and there are some others factor to have in mind, besides the house failure per se.
During strong earthquakes, there is always a gas and water pipe disconnect, which cause fires and electricity hazards to the still alive occupants. That is why is very important to take all measures available in order to prepare for a seismic event.

In this picture, we’re inside a 3,600 square foot out building looking at roof trusses. This building is located on top of a hill in a very windy area. Noticed a 2 broken 20ft. runners located along the bottom chord between 3 trusses. One completely snapped and the other has almost broke at the same area. No other structural defects were found to have caused this issue. This most likely was caused by lateral forced wind gusts but should be further evaluated by a structural engineer and repaired or modified to accommodate windy conditions.

Identifying different types of concrete cracking and the source of the crack is a very valuable piece of information.The most important thing to recognize is {does the crack affect the structural integrity of the home} and were corrections made around the home such as water drainage around the perimeter of the home.

Residential as well as commercial design, must always take in to consideration the geographical location of the structure being developed. Wind shear, hurricanes, Tornadoes as well as seismic occurrences must also be considered. Rather than try to be all to end all, it’s sometimes in the best interest of the client to sub-contract to a structural engineer, if for nothing else than to C.Y.A.

Residential Foundations and how insulation is being utilized for greater energy savings than just a few years ago is astounding. These advancements are due, primarily to significant improvements in products such as / insulation / energy efficient appliances / windows / roofing materials / etc. / as well as the advance of high performance heating and cooling systems.
So many ways to save money and seal the home from energy loss…and with hat being said, it’s time to consider the effects of Radon Intrusion and Radon Mitigation.
As inspectors; we need to focus on the Whole Home Environment!

This single level, slab on grade house was built in the 1950’s, with a simple, yet durable design. This house is located close to the coast, where high winds are a constant factor, and along with the coastal sea spray make this an ideal setting for the brick and mortar construction which has lasted over 60 years. The exterior of a wood framed house of original construction in this type of environment would not have lasted 60 + years, due to the erosion/corrosion caused by the wind driven salty air and frequent tropical rains.

Notching and drilling. During framing construction of a house or structure, either balloon or platform style is a great time for an inspector to perform a “Rough in” inspection. There are specific dimensional tolerances allowed for notching and drilling, each with it’s own legitimate reason. If notches are located in the wrong section of a member, structural weakness could be an issue. If holes are drilled with wires installed too close to edge of stud, electrical safety is compromised if a metal fastener penetrates that area and strikes a live electrical wire. Notching and drilling are areas that inspectors need to focus on to assure structural intent, and occupant safety is not compromised by non complying work methods.

This is new construction, in this Picture can see the build materials and can see the sill plate connection to the foundation. You can also see engineered flooring joists. You can also see the load bearing steel I-beam at the front of the house for the grauge.

Log home inspection can difficult if you don’t know what you are doing. Log homes can be built with wood varying degrees of moisture content. The biggest issues with logs homes are settling, wood rot, and insects. A settling home can lose as much as 6 inch’s in wall height, which can have effects through out the house, so make sure you know what you in for before you start.

The essay i’m doing is on this photo. The photo is of some prefabbed trusses. The trusses in this photo shows if engineered and constructed right, it can support a huge load with little material. Having prefabbed trusses delivered to the job sight it can save a lot of time and guessing rather thin building on sight.

I’m doing my essay on the article “Inspecting Underlayment on Roofs”. In this article, It talks about the underlayment, its the first protection on the roof. The underlayment is also hard to inspect or see the quality of the underlayment.

In this photo we have a box of 1-1/2" Roofing Nails that has been electro-galvanized. These fasteners are used in mild-weather conditions and in areas of low humidity. The nails were submerged into an electrolytic solution and an electric current coats the fastener. After prolonged exposure to the elements the fastener is subjected to normal rusting and staining. The nails have a smooth shank with grip marks near the head.

The Total Shear Approach also known as the “Eyeball” Method is the second most popular LFRS design methods. It is also the simplest of the three methods. This approach uses the total story shear to determine the total amount of shear wall length required on a given story. The amount of shear wall is then evenly distributes in the story according to the designer judgment. This is why it demands good “eyeball” judgement to avoid potential imbalances. For small structures such as homes, this method has produced reasonable designs.

Here’s a deck stair stringer with several apparent defects. Improper nailing techniques were used; the stringer was toe-nailed into the main structure of the deck, resulting in tear-out of the nails, which now appear to be providing no connection between the stringer and the rim joist of the deck. In addition, the nails have withdrawn from the rim joist itself. This may indicate that they’re the wrong type of nails or it may indicate that the deck has flexed, or gone through many wet/dry cycles, to a degree that the nails have withdrawn over time. Lastly, it appears that one of the nails has a manufacturing defect (offset head) that could have compromised it even if proper nailing techniques had been used.

I read “Structural Design Of Wood Framing For The Home Inspector” and learned about the traditional Allowable Stress Design method and a newer alternative, Load-Resistance Factored Design. The ASD method is detailed in documents from The American Wood Council, but further info on LRFD is not linked in the article.
Although softwood species used in residential construction vary by region, they’re graded the same whether they’re Douglas Fir or Hemlock Fir, for example. It’s far beyond the scope of a typical home inspection to verify that the lumber used in a given home is all of proper grade, what level of testing it’s undergone (visual, machine-tested, etc.), and whether it’s all been designed by the architect and put together absolutely correctly by the carpenters, but it’s useful to know as deep background information so that an agent’s or homebuyer’s questions can be answered and the reasons for referral of an observable defect to a structural engineer can be articulated with credibility that enhances trust.

The attached photo is of a kitchen being remodeled. The rolled steel studs are being used in lye of traditional wood framing. the steel framing is connected with screws as apostate to traditional nails. The house is of cinder block construction with full brick exterior walls and plaster on the inside for finish. The steel studs were used for a more reliable mounting surface as apposed to the pre existing, plaster over block wall. Note the use of wood blocking installed for backing intended to allow easier instillation of the cabinets and countertops.

Collar Ties vs. Rafter Ties
Collar ties (Collar Beams) are located at opposing gable rafters and is intended to resist rafter separation from the ridge beam during periods of unbalanced loads and are located at the upper 1/3 of opposing roof rafters. Found every 4’ on center (every other apposing rafter), of older roofing systems. Some roofing systems do not require these, however if present they should not be altered in any way. The tension forces they are used to combat are substantiate when, wind and snow loads are present. Manufactured trusses will not have these.
Rafter ties are located at the lower 1/3 or bottom of the roof rafters. they are found in simulator construction as the collar ties. Often the ceiling joist is used as a Rafter tie. These ties help keep the walls from deforming outward.

Door and Window Framing Illustration
This course was informative. I was taught the a trimmer was a jack stud. I guess being out of helping house or additions construction I was missing a lot of information. I will probably review this course another time.

I chose the door window framing because i thought the king stud was a jack when i built additions with mt contractor friend. The course is very informative after not working in the framing industry I am sure I have lost most of the information. I will probably re do the course because i sure i didn’t absorb all the information it offered.