Respectfully, please clarify this language and procedures

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please clarify the NACHI SOP, Section 2.7. Electrical

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

- My definition is from the splice point at which the homeowner is responsible for maintenance and upkeep. Better known as the “Service Drop”. (i.e. from the mast head connection (“Service Point”) down to the meter and from the meter to the panel box).

What I visually inspect - I check for frayed/damaged sheathing of the service drop. I check for a drip loop system. I check for loose or non-existent clamping. I check for loose or broken anchoring. I check for impeding tree branches, and proper clearances.

Most common defects - I take special care in examining older homes that have been recently sided. For some reason I seem to always find anchoring of the mast head or Service Entrance Line a problem. Often I will find where the siding installers have pryed loose or improperly secured a meter base.

- I call it the “Meter Base” and meter. The meter base houses the meter which the power company utilizes in reading exacting measurements of electricity used by the consumer. The power company is responsible for the meter calibration, etc. The consumer is responsible for the meter base. The power company should regularly monitor the condition of the meter base and meter.

What I check for - I check for frayed sheathing entering or exiting the meter base. I check for lack of electrician's putty around the base connector's. I check for looseness of the meter base, and general overall condition of the base.

Most common faults - Lack of weatherproofing around the area where the wire enters the meter base on the top and loose meter bases when older homes have recently had siding installed.

- My definition. Equipment where the power conductors entering the building can be switched off to disconnect the premises’ wiring from the utility power source.

What I check for - Six disconnect limit. Corrosion, damage, missing parts, and anti-oxidizer. I note the size of the service and main breaker.

Most Common Faults - Anti-oxidizer not present on aluminum wire connections, (i.e. Service drop lines and major appliances such as an electric stove).

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Clarifications are needed in this area. Requirements as to particulars that are inspected are presented as a Minimum standard. Inspectors can independantly exceed those minimum standards based on Education, Certification and E&O Coverages afforded for the exceedances of minimum standard.

Discussions of proposed changes to SOP may be best if the ideas are presented to the SOP Committee. Open public debate may not be the proper venue for discussion regarding SOP and Ethics.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Member only discussion.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Quote:
A. The Service Line - My definition is from the splice point at which the homeowner is responsible for maintenance and upkeep. Better known as the "Service Drop". (i.e. from the mast head connection ("Service Point") down to the meter and from the meter to the panel box).

Gotta watch the precise definitions. In the DC area, PEPCO owns the line up to the meter including the meter. In fact, when I worked for State Farm, we would not pay for damage to any part(mast head, meter, etc.) on the Power Company side, because they would cover it.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Your exactly right Daniel. That’s why I wrote “My definition”. Here in my area the homeowner maintains from the mast head down. The meter however is the property and responsibility of the power company.

Added PS. Daniel great posts, I agree.

Daniel, one more thing.

Your Homeinspector store link does not work.

The electricity here zapped my brain, I spelled it wrong. now try!

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Thank you Joe:

I have been interested in the HI industry for a long time, and welcomed the offer from NACHI to come aboard and help in the electrical areas.

--

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

dfrend wrote:
Quote:
Discussions of proposed changes to SOP may be best if the ideas are presented to the SOP Committee. Open public debate may not be the proper venue for discussion regarding SOP and Ethics.

For a member driven organization? Never heard of such a thing. ... Why can't members discuss their opinions of the SOP's .

I agree that we are Member driven. Should the Member SOP's modifications be discussed in Members Only or in the Open General Forums?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I believe SOP changes should be discussed in the members only forum. They are our SOP, correct?

Sorry, forgot we were not in there. Yes, this should be moved to members only.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Standards of Practice should stay in line with those of other major orgs. The more comprehensive the SOP, the more likely you will be to get sued for not following it.

As NACHI is entering the E&O arena, and the risk analysis is also measured against our SOP, it would be unwise to liik for bulk changes. Even slight changes to the SOP could have a very negative impact upon this upcoming program which is aimed at providing lower E&O insurance rates to ALL members who choose to participate.

Changing the Standards of Practice is more than simply putting an idea out there. There are legal ramifications which will need to be carefully reviewed by NACHI Corporate Counsel, who is also a member of the ESOP Committee.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe:

You are correct, and my post was not added here to ask that the SOP be changed.

--

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Joe T,

You are mose certainly a wealth of knowledge and a genuine asset to NACHI and to the many inspectors you help. You neednt be so careful with your words. The only thing I ask, and you have started to do, is to take that vast knowledge and help us apply it within the context of what we are most likely inspecting.

For instance, the service mast question. Your points are well taken, without the technical references. For instance:

"Guys, although that mast may indeed have been approved, keep in mind that that coupling may become a weak point. This is especially true, seeing how this mast doesnt have any supporting line, and appears to be higher than 5' above its last support. Therer are other reasons why it may not be up to NEC standards, like there doesnt appear to be a drip loopp...etc.... Develop a keen eye fr this stuff..."

I dont know... train us to be better, without getting into the technical code. It wont be easy...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Quote:
I dont know... train us to be better, without getting into the technical code. It wont be easy..

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) Which one won't be easy. Train us to be better or without getting into the technical code. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Is it safe to continue with my definitions if I so please?[/quote]